• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM questions that make you go "Uh oh"

Rechan

Adventurer
DMs can often ask questions that make everyone go on alert. It usually consists of something very specific. Or, it can be very leading. Occasionally it occurs before some rolling behind a screen.

Let's do a list of those fun questions. Partly because I like asking them, even if they're not important, just to make the players paranoid, and to think about what they're doing.

1. [After a battle] "So, what do you do with the bodies?"

2. "How do you open the door?"

3. [After a rest] "What is the first thing you do once you wake up?"

4. "What's your [Perception/Spot modifier, Saving Throw bonus/Defense)?"

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
1) Any question dealing with PC position:

"Who is in front?"

"Who is next to the Paladin?"

"Is anyone behind the Wizard?"

"Are you all within arm's reach of the McGuffin?"

2) Verbal "double-takes":

"What was that you said about the inkeeper?"

"Did you just touch the McGuffin?"

"How many of you ate the cake again?"

"Didn't YOU tie that rope?"

3) Any question to themselves after flipping through an adventure or Monster sourcebook:

"Those critters do WHAT?"

"That save DC is HOW high?"

"What is the Paladin's AC...and sex and race again?"

Last edited:

Wik

First Post
My personal favourite right now (only players in my group will get):

"So, what's Thrane going to do?"

(The story being, if you put in an event where there's a possibility for party infighting or bringing ruin upon themselves, the player of Thrane will somehow find an opportunity for this to happen... it's outlier play, but it does make the game quite a bit of fun)

Other fun ones:

1) "hey, did you make the save against that disease?"
2) "Hey, what page are the grapple rules on?"
3) "Can I get all your initiative rolls in advance? The next fight's gonna be a LONG one..."
4) "Who drank the last pop?" (angry glare)

My personal favourite right now (only players in my group will get):

"So, what's Thrane going to do?"

(The story being, if you put in an event where there's a possibility for party infighting or bringing ruin upon themselves, the player of Thrane will somehow find an opportunity for this to happen... it's outlier play, but it does make the game quite a bit of fun)

We have exactely the same situation. We made up a jingle: "every master needs a player like [insert catalist name here]"

I'd add to the list :" How many HP do you have?"

wedgeski

Adventurer
Ah you've hit a classic DM'ing nail on the head here Rechan. My favourite is simple, requires delicate timing, and must not be over-used as a red-herring: "So you touch it?".

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads