D&D 5E DM Screen 'Wilderness Kit'

A 'Wilderness Kit' has appeared on WotC's website, which includes a DM screen, hex maps, ration tracker, wilderness rules references, and 27 cards. It comes out on 17th November (same day as Tasha's Cauldron of Everything) for $24.99. https://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/dmscreen_wilderness CHART A COURSE IN THE WILDS Venture into the wilds with this kit for the...

A 'Wilderness Kit' has appeared on WotC's website, which includes a DM screen, hex maps, ration tracker, wilderness rules references, and 27 cards. It comes out on 17th November (same day as Tasha's Cauldron of Everything) for $24.99.

iqlWn4xjwe0aax.png

CHART A COURSE IN THE WILDS
Venture into the wilds with this kit for the world's greatest roleplaying game.

This kit equips the Dungeon Master with a screen and other tools that are perfect for running D&D adventures in the wilderness.

The Dungeon Master’s screen features a gorgeous painting of fantasy landscapes on the outside, and useful rules references cover the inside of the screen, with an emphasis on wilderness rules. The kit also includes the following:
  • 5 dry-erase sheets, featuring hex maps, a food-and-water tracker, and rules references (wilderness chases, wilderness journeys, and the actions you can take in combat)
  • 27 cards that make it easy to keep track of conditions, initiative, and environmental effects
  • 1 box to hold the kit's cards

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
So clearly Tasha's is meant to respond to the complaints that 5e's exploration pillar is lacking. I hope the fantastic locations section includes rules or at least guidance for making our own - planes and magical places are a great way to do this stuff.

I was guessing the same thing. RotFM and TCoE seem to be focusedon exploration more. I hope for more supernatural obstacles, weather, hazards, and planes to read.

stadi

Explorer
Seems like this is aimed more towards the Rime of the Frost Maiden adventure than Tasha's, a bit late IMO. Anyhow considering WotC track record on garbage DM Screens, I'll pass on this. Nothing I need or cant do with a quick text document. Not to mention another completely wasted side with art that could be used for information. Not a knock on the artist or art, its actually really good looking. I just don't understand why they insist on using the side facing the players for art and the god awful landscape orientation for their screens.

This might only be you. I'm sure 99% of people want art facing the players (creates atmosphere) and most people prefer landscape as it doesn't cover everything (you see the players). Pathfinder gives you the option to get a portrait one, but I would never want one.

R_J_K75

Legend
This might only be you. I'm sure 99% of people want art facing the players (creates atmosphere) and most people prefer landscape as it doesn't cover everything (you see the players). Pathfinder gives you the option to get a portrait one, but I would never want one.

Just my opinion and preference, but I'd suspect that I'm not the only one.

Reynard

Legend
Hmm. Some of this looks interesting, but I’m pretty disappointed to see that 18 of those 27 cards are duplicates from the Essentials Kit (the nine Condition cards and the nine Initiative cards, which are literally just cards labeled with the numbers 1 through 9).
I have been seeing this complaint a lot more lately and I think it comes down to this: most purchasers do not buy everything, so WotC is hedging that some repeated information or elements is not a deal breaker for most people. For example I have no reason in the world to purchase the Essentials Kit, so this product actually offers me something new.

Jacqual

Explorer
I remember when the players side had useful player info like equipment prices and such, kind of wish they did that still.

R_J_K75

Legend
I remember when the players side had useful player info like equipment prices and such, kind of wish they did that still.

Not mention there seems even to be lots of wasted space on the side with tables as things are spread out. I think comparatively 2E DM screens seemed to contain alot more information on 1 page than anything 3E or beyond.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
I have most of the gale force nine screens, probably pick this one up as well. At one point in a game I had 3 screens with the red dragon one they could see, and 2 others toward me. At a decision point for that would build, based on their choice, the next session I used that dm screen. They didn’t realize I had 3 as still use the ends to the castle looking dm screen for the space for minis on the levels and other trinkets in the slots.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
This hopefully means a semi-revamp of exploration and wilderness rules. If that's the case, Tasha's might expand on effective ways to pace a game.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site

Most players I play with would rather look up on D&D Beyond, or have their own cheat sheet than have to lean forward to try to read my DM screen.

That's doesn't mean they couldn't get more creative with DM screens though. build slots in them for initiative and condition cards for example.

Remove ads

Remove ads