D&D 4E DM'ing 4E - Stuff "Everybody Knows"

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
What are the things that "everybody knows" about DM'ing 4E?

Example: N+1 (or higher) Soldier monsters are usually too tough for the PC's.

Teemu

Hero
I don't think N+1 Soldiers are too tough. Rather, they're more prone to create grind.

Anyway -- stuns should be used sparingly. Domination likewise. I guess all conditions that take away a round's worth of actions. (Mind, I think this advice is spelled out in DMG2.)

Don't position your minions too close to each other (so they'll survive a little longer against AoE attacks).

Let the monsters use their "big guns" (encounter powers) early on in the fight.

Encourage your players to use stunts (DMG page 42).

Example: N+1 (or higher) Soldier monsters are usually too tough for the PC's.
I'd say they're annoying, but not necessarily too tough - as long as they're not elite or solo soldiers. But yeah, just avoid using higher-level soldiers.
(I remember a recent Lvl+5 encounter that included a Lvl+3 elite soldier. My fighter needed a 14 to hit that monster, and our sorceress needed a 17. Took us over an hour... :()

kaomera

Explorer
Let the players do their cool stuff. Provoke OAs and Combat Challenge from the Fighter, give the Wizard a bunch of minions to blow down, etc. You don't want to destroy the challenge for the players, but you can design / modify encounters that meet both those goals.

"No two games of D&D are the same" is probably a good one. I've never had problems with Soldiers, although I don't go over level+2 usually. The players have to work a bit more to make sure they have combat advantage, etc.; but it really gives the Leader's buffs a chance to shine.

weem

First Post
kaomera said...
Let the players do their cool stuff. Provoke OAs and Combat Challenge from the Fighter, give the Wizard a bunch of minions to blow down, etc. You don't want to destroy the challenge for the players, but you can design / modify encounters that meet both those goals.

I don't think this is something "everybody knows", but I think it's good advise (aka, every DM should consider it).

One of the two DM's I am regularly playing with right not does NOT do this enough (at all really). He knows your "cool stuff", and works to avoid it almost entirely. As a fighter, for example, this can be okay - after all, in many cases it simply means you are SUPER sticky, but in this case the DM actively looks for workarounds so that he can get his beasts out of it AND prevent you from using your "cool stuff" at the same time.

Boy can I sympathize that - my level 13 Holy Avenger has had Repulsive Armor +2, since about 5 levels ago, and guess what.....every single encounter is now filled with creatures that have reach +1 or +2.

Every

Single

Encounter

:(

I don't think this is something "everybody knows", but I think it's good advise (aka, every DM should consider it).
I think TarionzCousin put parts of the title in quotation marks precisely for that reason; at least, that's how I've been reading it.

One of the two DM's I am regularly playing with right not does NOT do this enough (at all really). He knows your "cool stuff", and works to avoid it almost entirely. As a fighter, for example, this can be okay - after all, in many cases it simply means you are SUPER sticky, but in this case the DM actively looks for workarounds so that he can get his beasts out of it AND prevent you from using your "cool stuff" at the same time.
Reminds me of my former DM during the 2e era. 4e requires a different mindset, so your DM needs to adjust accordingly, which can be difficult. Old habits die hard.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Let the players do their cool stuff.
You must spread some Experience Points around before giving it to kaomera again.
:rant:

I DM'ed about six sessions of 4E at 3rd Level, and another dozen sessions at level 21. But it's been over a year and I'm just looking to consolidate what I've read (and can't quite remember).

What about "Give Solos/Elites half of their hit points and make them do more damage"? How well received is that by the general public? :hmm:

Remove ads