D&D 5E DMing "Out of the Abyss"

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=6801328]Elfcrusher[/MENTION]
Here's what I'm doing for Followers in my adaptation of Out of the Abyss for the Night Below campaign I'm running:

I really like the idea of the PCs leading an expeditionary force into the Underdark. At the same time I'm not keen on detracting from the PCs' spotlight (and slowing things down) by have dozens of NPCs rolling dice in a fight. Maybe that's good for a once-in-a-blue-moon mass combat, but most of the time I don't want myself or the players to be rolling dice for NPCs.

At the same time, I'd like the NPC followers to be more than window dressing. I'd like them to actually help the PCs in some and also drive the story forward.

I started making NPC cards (see the Svirfneblin work-in-progress sample below).

These cards describe the nature of the NPC forces, any special downtime activity they "unlock", possibly a special ability, and possibly a connected magic item.

Another example would be some human nobles in my campaign; each one grants either an upgrade to the PCs' stronghold (e.g. an alchemist's lab, a training grounds, a chapel, etc) OR 4 hirelings that can be replaced monthly.

My approach is that the NPC followers don't usually engage in the same fights the PCs do because the PCs assign them particular tasks (e.g. "ok, svirfneblin and freed slaves are going to work on building our outpost in conquered Velkynvelve while we go adventure"). During random encounters that occur while the PCs have a whole train of followers actively traveling with them, I'm thinking either the followers could be "off camera" with their own fights, separated from the PCs, or the danger is so great that the PCs warn everyone else back.

I do feel like some kind of abstracted system would be useful to determine loses sustained by followers during fights or dangerous exploration. Out of the Abyss does wee little bit of this in the text at certain points, but not very much.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-22 at 10.51.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-22 at 10.51.08 PM.png
    523.7 KB · Views: 4,197

Arkon262

First Post
Perhaps I am just blind, but is it just me or are there no stat blocks for all the NPCs in the book? I am going to be running this on Roll20 starting this weekend and was working on prep today by trying to create all the various enemy character sheets/npc character sheets and got stopped in my tracks when trying to set up the early NPCs that are in the slave pen.

Perhaps I am just blind, but is it just me or are there no stat blocks for all the NPCs in the book? I am going to be running this on Roll20 starting this weekend and was working on prep today by trying to create all the various enemy character sheets/npc character sheets and got stopped in my tracks when trying to set up the early NPCs that are in the slave pen.

Some of the NPCs have unique stats at the back of the book. Others, like Eldeth the dwarf and Jimjar the Deep Gnome, are identified as scouts and spies indicating that you should use the stats from the MM for scouts and spies, respectively.

Xanthais

First Post

I'm doing the exact same thing on R20. I'm not wasting time filling in a full character sheet for NPCs. I'm just giving them base stats, HP, and AC and some simple macros to use.

r20.jpg

I'm also going to print out some cards with the pertinent data, to paper clip on my side of the DM screen when I run it with my group in person.

Last edited:

Xanthais

First Post
[De-Rail] A WWE wrestler fighter sub-class...now THAT piques my curiosity! I'm envisioning it like Battle Master, where you have a certain amount of dice for moves like an RKO, Brogue Kick, F4, Tombstone, GTS, etc. LOL [/De-Rail]

Daern

Explorer
That's a crazy critique! I have to disagree that you could "play" this adventure without players. However, you are totally right that there is no "xp budget" and characters will have to level up based on a lot of random encounters.
There isn't a clear escalation of difficulty. The adventure starts out super difficult and dangerous as low-level heroes travel the Underdark. The npcs are supposed to help the characters survive I think. As the characters level up, the Underdark doesn't get harder, but they will seek out scarier foes and deal with challenges differently.
In terms of the final end game, one thing to keep in mind is that there is no countdown time limit on the campaign. Also, the random encounters include many opportunities to "to roll on the random magic item table". Basically, I plan on throwing in quite a few magic items, especially drow magic.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases