D&D 5E DM's: what do you do with players who miss time?

Mercule

Adventurer
It depends. In a true old school crawl, they don't go into the dungeon that day (or they get distracted by a bauble and break away from the group). No XP, but no chance of off-camera death, either.

Currently, it's not a common situation (though I have a player missing, tonight, interestingly enough). When it does happen, though, I don't sweat it. The character is still there and still participates in a somewhat limited fashion. I'm loathe to kill a PC without the player present, so PCs of absent players tend to exist in a sort of cloud of uncertainty. That means they tend to hang back and generally receive the benefit of the doubt for where they're standing, etc. They don't get targeted as much -- except meat shields, who just get script immunity when they drop, even to things like ghouls that might otherwise take a snack break. The absentee PC can be part of a TPK, but that's pretty much the only way they can die.

But... I don't allow them to be just a risk-free bag of nukes. They character is free to be a resource in terms of skills, spells, items, whatever. But, they're denied benefit of doubt in resource management. If I'm not given a checklist of what spells are prepared prior to their absence, I assume that only the ones they use all the time are prepared - cure wounds for the cleric, flaming sphere for the wizard, etc. The cleric almost certainly did not happen to have remove curse prepared, even if he actually did. That may result in fewer prepared spells than their max. Bummer. If I think there's a chance they cast a spell or two since the last long rest, I don't spend any time wondering; I just assume they did. I also don't spend much time going through ability lists to see if someone can solve a problem. If it would impact suspension of disbelief, the other players already know it and can suggest it. Fighters tend to stand in the front and swing. Casters tend to fall back and use cantrips until another player says, "Can we get a fireball over here?"

We're all big boys and girls who would love to game more than we do, but can't. We respect each other's time enough to not commit to an ongoing game if we can't actually commit. I choose not to even attempt to penalize my friends for getting sick, called into work, visiting family, or attending kids' concerts. People really don't miss for other reasons.

What people do tend to miss out on, when they can't attend, is any reasonable way to lay claim to that super-awesome magic item that isn't class specific. Magic items aren't super common and that's enough to gnaw at them.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I am also in the 'character is in the background, no xp camp'

I don't see it as a punishment either. The game is not something you can 'win' so I don't understand the reasoning.

I would actually find it punishing if I missed a couple sessions and my character was suddenly higher level. Not only did I miss the sessions, but I missed out on playing those levels. If all I cared about was being 20th level it is easy to just play a game where all characters are 20th level. I want to play through the levels.

I do try to come up with a fun thing the character did that session that helps the party in some way. For example a rogue may have scouted ahead and gained some info.

Satyrn

First Post
My group doesn't play when one of us can't make it. We do something else. Last week, for example, one of us was at a concert so the rest of us played board games. The week before that we played pool.

Last edited:

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
My group doesn't play when one of us can't make it. We do something else. Last week, for example, one of us was at a concert so the rest of us played board games. The week before that we played pool.
If my group did that, I think we'd manage to have about 1 session every 3 months on average. Too much life going on.

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
Let's say a player misses a session. Does his character miss out on the XP of said session?

How do you explain it in-game?

It depends! I run a sandbox-style campaign with each player controlling a stable of characters. If a character is present during an experience-generating scene, then the character receives its fair share of the experience. If not, it doesn't. If a player misses a session, it's possible that the character will still be present; if so, the character will receive experience. However, if a player is not present, we may choose to run other characters instead. In these situations the missing player's characters do not receive experience.

It can be complicated and it depends on what is happening in the ongoing narratives. Suffice it to say, if a character is present, then the character receives experience.

If another player is controlling the character of somebody who didn't show up, how do you handle combat without the character sheet? How do you handle it if that player dies?

I keep notes of each character's capabilities; plus, my players will often email me copies of their character sheets in advance if they know they cannot attend the next session. It's rare that I don't have access to most of their combat information. In combat situations, the missing player's character is run by one of the other players with group input. Occasionally death happens. My players understand that character death is a part of the game.

Not being able to attend a session is punishment enough. I think if your players are enjoying your campaign, then being forced to miss a session due to real life commitments already is a big bummer. So why have them miss exp on top of that? They are a party, a team. And so the team earns exp. If they happen to miss a session, they'll get the exp that their group earned the next time they attend.

Not all of us play under the one player/one character team paradigm. I use a character stable; that is, each player controls multiple characters within the campaign. Each character will have its own experience total. In practice, the players determine which character they are going to play taking into account character level, character abilities, and the ongoing narratives.

Kalshane

First Post
We generally have a missing player designate another player to run their character. If I'm using XP (current Pathfinder AP converted to 5E I'm running I'm using milestone leveling, so the whole party levels up at certain story beats) they get full XP.

We have a Google drive we use for campaign documents and everyone keeps updated copies of their character sheets there.

Back in the old days we had the character hang out in the background and gain no XP, but my group is all in our 30s now, most of us with kids, and all of us with adult responsibilities that sometimes interfere with being able to game. We don't see the point in "punishing" anyone for having to miss a game session.

Now, if a player is chronically missing the game, I would take them aside and talk to them about it and discuss if they should continue in the game because of their frequent scheduling conflicts. But missing an occasional session isn't a big deal.

Same here. I used to schedule gaming around everyone’s schedules. But after years of driving myself up a wall, I decided to move to set dates and whoever shows up gets to game. Our group isn’t as big at any given session, but there’s much less headache involved.

If my group did that, I think we'd manage to have about 1 session every 3 months on average. Too much life going on.

Shendorion

First Post
It depends on the campaign. If the narrative supports the character's absence, the character is absent. If the character had to be there, then it stays in the game and is operated by me. If I can find an excuse not to use the character's abilities in the session I'll do it; otherwise I just run it at reduced capacity.

I don't believe in docking players experience as some sort of punishment for not showing up. The penalty for missing a game session is missing the game session. XP isn't a paycheck for showing up to the game or a tool for disciplining players; it's a way to make character growth part of the game system.

Remove ads