D&D 5E Dnd Next Pod Cast-info on wildshape and Avenger

Weather Report

Banned
Banned
Just to note... they talked about wanting to replicate the feeling of the holy avenger / holy slayer archetype, not that the sub-class will exactly match the 4E Avenger. So this new build does not guarantee it will be an armor-less paladin. If I had to guess, it'll still be a plate-wearing class, just that it's focus is more towards punishing the wicked, rather than defending the decent.

Ah, okay; but as a tangent, a Monk can take that shield feat or multiclass and Captain America his own heiny?

Though, technically Cap does wear light chainmail.

gyor

Legend
I looked at the Blackguard and here is my guess on how they will build it.

They'd keep that Blackguards Oath spell list but add to it, like summon Paladin Mount, maybe animate dead. They would probably give it CD: Dread Aspect and Rebuke Undead. At level 8 Rebuke Fiends, at level 18 summon fiend. And at level 20 Avatar of Vice or something.

Where as the "role" of the Cavalier is defence, the role of the Avenger is Offence, the role of the Blackguard is control, and perhaps which makes making his Oath the Oath of Domination make sense.

Just speculation on my part and we won't see if I'm right for a long time as the Oath coming out is for the Avenger, Oath of Vengence (ps sounds cool).

And Holy Slayer was Jeremy's reason for getting into 4e Avenger, it sounded like to me that Avenger was the key influence. I could be wrong.

I'm betting we'll get the update this week, after all its two things.

Just to note... they talked about wanting to replicate the feeling of the holy avenger / holy slayer archetype, not that the sub-class will exactly match the 4E Avenger. So this new build does not guarantee it will be an armor-less paladin. If I had to guess, it'll still be a plate-wearing class, just that it's focus is more towards punishing the wicked, rather than defending the decent.
It might not have Shield of Faith, but the Paladin as is can be built to use light armour, though it would be more of an archer or swashbuckling build.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
It might not have Shield of Faith, but the Paladin as is can be built to use light armour, though it would be more of an archer or swashbuckling build.

Oh, absolutely. You'll probably be able to build your paladin in several different ways. I was just making the point though that the Oath of Vengeance sub-class was not a 4E Avenger duplicate, so you shouldn't go into it expecting it to be. Otherwise you'll be disappointed once the packet gets updated.

Update for Wildshape and Oaths coming soon! Not sure about using monster statblocks for Wildshape though.

Also glad to hear that after D&D Next release R&D would like to continue public playtest new mechanics before printing!

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
I think it's simpler than that.

The Druid with 50hp (current, not necessarily the max) turns into a cat with 5hp, and as soon as she takes 5hp of damage, she reverts to a Druid with 50hp.

If she takes e.g. 20hp of damage from one source, the first 5hp of damage dispel the cat form, and the remaining 15hp apply, so she ends up in Druid form with 35hp.

Seems wonky to me that they have a magic hitpoint shield created by their form, although there was always a healing component to changing forms in previous editions. I guess it depends on the range of hitpoints the different forms have.

fjw70

Adventurer
Whats the theory behind the damage taken in animal form not transferring to the natural form of the druid? I haven't looked at the DDN Druid and am only a little familiar with the 3/4e druids.

Remove ads