D&D 5E DnDBeyond: on adapting genre to D&D

To keep it current, let's consider Dark Crystal Age of Resistance as an example. As a setting, there are no standard D&D races or creatures. This is central, all players have to play the setting specific races. They cannot under any circumstances play as a human.

However, whilst many characters have access to some magic, the setting does not appear to have "full casters*". I would say the thrust of the article is - that doesn't matter. You can allow full access to standard D&D classes without breaking the feel of setting, even though it isn't 100% literal.

*One maybe.

Li Shenron

Legend
An interesting article appeared on DnDBeyond that address converting D&D to other genres. They cite Eberron and Ravenloft as examples, and I wager it's going to be controversial here.

The link: Adapting Other Genres to D&D

Some of the cliff notes parts.

* Adapt the genre to D&D, not D&D to the setting.

* Try to limit restrictions for your players, esp to magic and magic items.

* Add rather than subtract options when possible.

* Find where D&D and the genre cross and focus on those.

* If you're genre requires extensive rewriting of the game, consider a better suited RPG.

Thoughts on his suggestions?

I would do the opposite of every single suggestion here.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That's very true. However, some good advice so as to not waste one's effort on a fruitless venture. Much like painting is largely harmless even when done badly, a bit of good advice like "make sure your canvas has primer on it" goes a long way to making what you're doing work. Or at least it gives you a good start.

Yes, but “amateurs shouldn’t try to paint” is not good advice.

Remathilis

Legend
I used to be like you ...But I'm a lot happier now doing it the article's way.
I'm with you; younger Remathilis would lovingly craft unique settings with custom races, classes and house rules. They never worked right, sometimes broke spectacularly, and took too much time to fix.

Older Remathilis uses FR and Eberron, and is much happier and focuses on story rather than world-building.

Tony Vargas

Legend
" Adapt the genre to D&D, not D&D to the setting."

Wow. I'm not sure if the point is setting out to fail, or just laying the groundwork to migrate to a different game, but either way, seems defeatist.

D&D, 5e in particular, gives the DM tremendous latitude to modify, overrule, overhaul, and generally take the game in entirely different directions. That can be by all but re-writing the rules into another game, or by simply ruling in accord with the conventions of the genre you're adapting the game to, without regard to it's many oddball counter-genre rules.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases