• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do elves have body hair?

Scribble

First Post
Gez said:
Elves in D&D third edition are completely hairless, except of course on the scalp. It's even in the PHB...

Other games or specific settings are not forced to comply to D&D's standard.

which is why elf chix are hot...

just sayin... ;)

I think that in European folktalkes & mythology elves were like prepubescent (“tweens”) humans as they were described as perpetual children.

IMC Grymwurld, I describe Elves as being physically similar to East Asian Humans, e.g. Chinese, Vietnamese, etc. That is, they have significantly less body hair, beards are quite rare, and the men have smaller… feet.

diaglo

Adventurer
the first D&D elf had a beard.

Attachments

• Aug_18_001.jpg
    Aug_18_001.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 245

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Brogarn said:
First off, Dwarven women don't have beards in every setting! Being a fan of dwarves, I prefer the ones that don't. Because, well, eww. Whomever came up with that whole bearded lady thing had issues.
This has always annoyed the **** out of me. Let's set the record straight. The whole Dwarven women have beards thing happen because some ***** wrote in to The Dragon 'explaining' why they must. His reasoning? Because when the Fellowship were at a Dwarven party Tolkien didn't specifically mention Dwarven women. Therefore, according to this ******, that must mean that they were there, but the Fellowshipers didn't notice them because they were bearded! And this nonsense started a big controversy in the mag that resulted in the ******* editor agreeing with him. That's it. ******!!!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Ed_Laprade said:
This has always annoyed the **** out of me. Let's set the record straight. The whole Dwarven women have beards thing happen because some ***** wrote in to The Dragon 'explaining' why they must. His reasoning? Because when the Fellowship were at a Dwarven party Tolkien didn't specifically mention Dwarven women. Therefore, according to this ******, that must mean that they were there, but the Fellowshipers didn't notice them because they were bearded! And this nonsense started a big controversy in the mag that resulted in the ******* editor agreeing with him. That's it. ******!!!
********!

Fishbone

First Post
SLUR DELETED BY MODERATOR
Just kidding, they're just very, very metro and don't produce a lot of testosterone.
And what's with the female beard hatred? I think its pretty funny and dare I say it, hawt.

Let's watch the language, Fishbone. - Rel

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolv0rine

First Post
I'll go against the grain, since so few have so far. I like elves. I don't go for "der uber elves", but I like elves a lot. Elves in my world are perfectly capable of growing beards, and when it's inconvenient to tend them (on long trecks, or during particularly long and arduous adventures, for example) it's not uncommon for an elf to begin to develop one. Their facial hair grows a bit slower than humans', so it does take longer for their beards to grow in, and most elves keep themselves cleanshaven when in civilized locales just because of social norm.
But my oldest character, the one closest to my heart, is an elvan ranger. And he regularly sports either a goatee or a full beard. He spends too much time travelling to worry about tending it, and it makes it easier for humans to relate to him. He's grown rather used to it, too.

But I've never been fond of the metrosexual, androgynous, effete and uber elves that tend to be pushed on us by those those who want to recreate the semi-divine Tolkienesque superelves.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads