• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do i grapple the right way ?

Monsterknuffel

First Post
Hi :D

I read the part about grappling over and over again, but i still think i dont get it correct.

Example:
Lvl 3 Fighter (with only 1 attack) grapples with an orc
The Fighter has no Feats which could improve grapple.

Step 1: I make a normal melee attack roll. The atk roll is higher then the orcs AC. The melee attack roll doesn´t lead to damage right now.

Step 2: The Orc makes an Attack of Opportunity (AoO) that misses the fighter.

Step 3: I make a melee touch attack roll that which is higher than the Orcs Touch AC

Step 4: Now i can make a hold. The Orc and I make opposed grapple checks. The fighter wins. Now the fighter can make a hold, and unarmed damage to the orc once.

Step 5: Now i have a hold and can maintain the grapple. Therefore i have to move into the Orcs space.
The text says something about AoOs. If i move, enemys standing aroun us can make an AoO. Are they allowed an AoO if I (The Fighter) just move 1 square ?
Can you tell me some examples when it is not possible to enter the enemys square ?

Step 6: If i can maintain the grapple, my turn is over now when i just have one atack and i have to wait until my next round to be able to use one of the grapple options.

If i am a 6th lvl Fighter with 2 attacks and i made it successfull to step 5 (Maintain the Grapple). I can now choose between the grapple options like "Damage Opponent", "Move" or "Pin the Opponent" with my 2nd attack throw. and with a lower bab modifier for the grapple check.

Now is my second turn. Is it correct how i want to proceed?

I don´t have to repeat any of the Steps, given in the "Starting a Grapple" part and can do the Grapple Options. (I have to make the opposed grapple checks if i want to do something like that)
-------------------------------------------------------
Another Example (now on the monsters side) (Question about constrict).
Constrictor Snake vs Lvl 4 Fighter

Step 1: Successful attack roll with the bite. Does the bite attack deal damage right now ?

Thanks to "Improved Grab" i can proceed to Step 4:
The snake wins the opposed grapple checks and makes damage :
Bite Damage + Constrict damage. Is this correct ?

Step 5: Maintain Grapple: Success

Step 6: I cant use grapple options because I have only 1 attack. (For example: Move with the grappled Fighter into my burrow)

Now its the fighters turn and he trys to escape t he grapple with an opposed grapple check.
The Snake wins the grapple check. Does the snake make Constrict Damage now ?

Snake´s 2nd turn: The snake wants to damage the the opponent.
The snake wins the opposed grapple check and deals Bite Damage + Constrict damage to its opponent.
What if the snake wants to move the enemy? If she wins the opposed grapple check, does the snake move the enemy and in addition constrict damage ?

I hope i could cover all my questions. If not, i will add them ^^
I hope you ´don´t have problems with my english x_X

Last edited:

nathreet

First Post
Remove step 1.

Steps 2-4: Right.

Step 5:
Q1: Yes.
Q2: You almost always can.

Step 6: Right.
Step 6 w/ 6th level fighter: Right.

Second turn: Right.
--------
Step 1: Yes.

Ya you skip to step 4.

Step 4: Oh man I had to look this one up. Only constrict damage. Other creatures without constrict do not deal any damage (except during step 1). And future grapple attempts to deal damage must deal constriction damage. Other creatures without constrict must deal the same kind of damage used to initiate the grapple (step 1).

But these examples both assume the creatures use the option "Damage Your Opponent." There are other options too. For example, the snake could use "Attack Your Opponent" to use any natural attack including bite. But then he makes an attack roll not a grapple check and gets a -4 penalty on the attack roll. Besides the natural attack, you could also use a light weapon or unarmed strike if you have them.

Fighter's turn: No.

Snake's 2nd turn: Again, only constrict damage. If he didn't have the constrict ability, he'd be dealing bite damage only, since that's what he used to initiate.

Snake wants to move enemy: No, he only moves the enemy.

--------

Each grapple option is seperate. You do only one thing per attack.

Last edited:

Remove ads