• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do Magic Item "Shops" wreck the spirit of D&D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whimsical

Explorer
I remember playing in 2nd edition campaigns where we would have around a hundred thousand gps each, but nothing to buy. Whereas if we were playing Cyberpunk or Shadowrun, we would be able to buy various upgrades after each adventure. The old way sucked. And, no. I don't want to take an adventure to make a friggin' scroll! And if you think about it, neither does the DM. Because it is better for everyone when the focus of the game is on the current adventure instead of a sidequest that only the spellcaster is on.

helium3

First Post
I would think that what Skip meant when he said "make it an adventure" is that as a player you need to figure out who it is that sells the item you want and then you have to go buy it from them, thus necessitating some role playing. I want to buy some scrolls? I have to figure out who makes the dang things and go see what's available.

I'm not sure I agree about the pen and ink though . . .

howandwhy99

Adventurer
I think magic shops are a setting element, not a system one. Plenty of people have them in their gameworlds.

The problem arises when D&D is expected to have magic shops because it's the default playstyle. Or worse yet, the rules themselves require magic shops so the game can function.

Emirikol

Adventurer
Jack of Shadows said:
This is a thing with a lot of DM's, they think they know what's best for the players and are then shocked when the players don't agree. A good GM says, "welcome to my game." A great GM says, "welcome to our game." Jack

Not disagreeing with this aspect. I'd also like to point out that the problem with a lot of players, they think they deserve everything in the game to come to them easy and are shocked when the DM puts constraints on them.

A good player says, "Show me a great game." A great player says, "I'm happy to share in your game."

jh

Ace

Adventurer
I have magic shops IMC as I see D&D as high magic game where magic is technology.

As a DM I am likely to simply give a few magic items that I know the PC's will keep (on the cool/usefull) factor and just give them the rest in equivalent to spend as they wish.

It increases player fun and decreases my prep time so its win/win IMO.

Emirikol

Adventurer
howandwhy99 said:
I think magic shops are a setting element, not a system one. The problem arises when D&D is expected to have magic shops because it's the default playstyle. Or worse yet, the rules themselves require magic shops so the game can function.

Ain't that the truth :)

Allow me to clarify: Most good DMs don't put magic items out there to cater to players' whines(yea, we've all broken that rule)..they put magic items out there as part of the plot and theme of the game. You don't find a +1 sword at first level for the heck of it. You find it because maybe there's going to be a monster out there that you need to use it on because the last guy who tried to kill this thing got whacked.

You find potions of healing becasue someone put them there for themselves..not because it seems like a good recharge place for the scenario.

Magic item shops, would fall into this category if you went to town and they had a bunch of stakes, crosses, cold iron weapons and wolvesbane for sale in a town of superstitious people with nearby vampires and werewolves. Magic item shops should not a panacea of twinky-min-maxery. That's just lazy DMing.

I'm so lazy, I'd rather not hand out magic items than watch players degenerate into ..well, I'd hate to use those words again ;)

jh

Last edited:

WildWeasel

First Post
"The problem arises when D&D is expected to have not magic shops because it's the default playstyle. Or worse yet, the rules themselves forbid magic shops so the game can function."

It cuts both ways. Somehow, I'm getting the suspicion that the OP has long since made up his mind and isn't interested in actually debating the matter.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
The Magic Item Compendium specifically talks about Magic Item shops and buying magic items. (pages 231-2).

It says that, in general, you should allow PCs to buy magic items. One reasoning given is that for many levels its the only way the players can customise their PCs, and is significantly more fun than getting skill points.

It also says that large one-stop-shop magic emporiums are unrealistic... a community's stock of magic items will be in alchemist's shops, bookstores, pawn shops, elixir brewers, curio shops, the residences of retired adventurers and so on.

It suggests abstracting the search for magic items except when you want to advance an adventure or campaign story arc; if there's a time limit involved, a Gather Information check must be made to track down the item.

Personally, I don't think magic item shops wreck the spirit of D&D. I think there are some items (stat boosters) that cause problems, but that not relying on DM whim or random dice rolls to get something to make your PC effective is a good thing.

Cheers!

Crothian

First Post
Emirikol said:
Do Magic Item "Shops" wreck the spirit of D&D?

No, when they are done with character and with care. And not just an open shop that happens to have plenty of every kind of magical item.

Does the overcustomization and overtwinking of the game wreck the spirit of the game?

Yes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads