D&D 5E Do PCs at your table have script immunity?

Do player characters have script immunity at your table?

• Yes. PCs only die if the player agrees to it.

• Yes (mostly). PCs won't die due to bad luck, but foolish actions will kill ya.

• No (mostly). PCs can die, even if it is just bad luck, but they have chances to reverse it.

• No. PCs can die for any reason. I am not there to hold players' hands.

• Other (please explain).

Results are only viewable after voting.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I voted other. PCs can die to a little bad luck or bad decisions, but I won't let super duper bad luck kill them. Death is mostly permanent in my game. Raises are rare.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
As revival magic is available in my game (provided your character or the party can afford it) your character is free to die whenever it likes. Some have become very good at it. :)

Death-revival cycles do have a lingering cost, however, in that (with rare exceptions usually involving Wish) you come back permanently down a point of Con.

Edit to add: not sure why this thread is tagged as 5e-specific when the question is equally applicable to all editions.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
I voted for number one assuming, "die" means permadeath. They are high enough level to use resurrection magic, so characters occasionally die, but can always be brought back.

The games I've run for the last decade or two don't have a script. So there is no such thing as script immunity. So I voted other.

As for PC death, sure it happens, but it really only happens if their are multiple bad choices and/or rolls. I absolutely refuse save or die, or any other single choice/roll resulting in character death.

As a player I definitely have more fun when script immunity isn't in play. This can vary depending on the system and style of play. Generally speaking though, I like the thrill of combat with the threat of death by the dice. When I am GMing I prefer no script immunity. But I am flexible on that based on the group. If I am running for players who just aren't into it, I can adapt; I just find it much more engaging and more fitting for my GMing style to have no script immunity). We had a character death last night actually (life force drained by a giant supernatural snake).

It always seems to me the people enthusiastiac about death possibility in these discussions aren’t the people doing the dying. Or aren’t the people that spent months working on a backstory For a promised year plus campaign. The answer is never what the dm wants their Game to be like really I think, it’s what the players want, the majority wants, everyone gets a vote but the dm just has one.

I feel like TPKs or player deaths should be allowed to happen, but then the players determine what’s next. Is resurrection a possibility or not? Is the TPK the end or do you want something to follow? I get how revealing that the end may not be the end if the players/s don’t want it to be removes the scariness of death For future deaths, but again, it’s what the players want. Take some time with the death, what do we all think this should mean, what kind of game are we playing…all that. Some DMs want these to be hard rules set ahead of time cause they believe it makes things matter. I don’t think it does. Feel like every death is a discussion, what does this one mean, and how are we gonna handle it.

Remove ads