• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do people enjoy reading campaign blogs?

Do you enjoy reading Campaign Blogs/Websites?

• I love them and I post comments often.

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • I may glance at them, but I would never leave comments.

Votes: 30 44.1%
  • Why waste my time reading the sophomoric ramblings of someone I don't even know?

Votes: 25 36.8%
  • What's a blog?

Votes: 1 1.5%

Snoweel

First Post
Disregard my last; I found his website.

He's interesting but for an aspiring professional writer he has a poor command of spelling and grammar.

Scribe Ineti

Explorer
I enjoy reading the novels and short stories of other writers; doing so teaches me something new and makes me a better writer. Similarly, I enjoy reading about other DM/GM's campaigns, if only to pick up some tidbit of advice, good idea, or neat plot twist. Sometimes it's fun to read about another group's campaign just for the fun of it. I don't often leave comments, preferring to enjoy the unfolding story.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I have no desire to read a novelisation of someone's game, and let's face it, a story written by 5+ people (even if all the actual writing is done by only one) is going to suck as a novel.
That's an awfully broad brush you're waving around there, especially if you've ever liked a television or film screenplay.

Snoweel

First Post
That's an awfully broad brush you're waving around there, especially if you've ever liked a television or film screenplay.

There's a difference between a writing team working from the same story outline and a bunch of gamers making up a story as they go along.

However there's probably not much difference between said writing team and a poor DM railroading his players to fit his plot.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
There's a difference between a writing team working from the same story outline and a bunch of gamers making up a story as they go along.
Most films are created by a writing team only if serial collaboration between writers months or years apart, with no communication between them, can be considered a team.

And "same story outline" also ignores the massive and sometimes whimsical changes to fundamental aspects of a story at any point in its creation by people who technically have no writing role at all.

charlesatan

Explorer
Let me put it this way: some people are great storytellers while others aren't. Similarly, others are great are reporting and writing their adventure while others aren't. So I guess it all comes down to whose blog am I reading. I've read campaign blogs that don't interest me and some that do. For me, it's a question of execution, not a question of subject matter.

Snoweel

First Post
Most films are created by a writing team only if serial collaboration between writers months or years apart, with no communication between them, can be considered a team.

And "same story outline" also ignores the massive and sometimes whimsical changes to fundamental aspects of a story at any point in its creation by people who technically have no writing role at all.

We're not talking about D&D anymore are we?

Corjay

First Post
I love campaign blogs.
wub.gif

Snoweel

First Post
You claimed that D&D players are unlikely to create something as good as a screenwriting team can.

No, I claimed that several writers are unlikely to create something as good as a single writer.

Then you brought up television and film screenplays.

I was just pointing out that your argument is flawed, because the notion of a screenwriting "team" is a myth, most of the time.

So what did you mean by this?:

you said:

What does it have to do with the quality or lack thereof of a bunch of D&D players creating a story whilst playing a D&D game?

Remove ads