Do people enjoy reading campaign blogs?

Do you enjoy reading Campaign Blogs/Websites?

• I love them and I post comments often.

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • I may glance at them, but I would never leave comments.

Votes: 30 44.1%
  • Why waste my time reading the sophomoric ramblings of someone I don't even know?

Votes: 25 36.8%
  • What's a blog?

Votes: 1 1.5%

Ebon Shar

Explorer
I'm curious, do people enjoy reading the campaign blogs/websites of others?

Over the past few years, I've tried to maintain a website/blog that chronicles my campaign. I was originally inspired to do this by reading Brent Nall's outstanding Drow War Blog. I have no visitor counter or anything like that, but I was curious as to how many people actually will visit a campaign blog and how many would actually leave comments if they were encouraged to do so.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
I don't read them, but that is due to lack of time, not desire. And it is certainly not because I think such blogs or their writers are a waste of time. None of your poll options fit.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
A glance at ENWorld's Story Hour forum will give you the answer: LOTS of people read other people's campaign blogs/story hours, although only a minority will leave comments.

A regularly updated Story Hour gets the most readers, in my experience.

kensanata

Explorer
I diligently read all the campaign blogs where I'm a player (and I usually write all the campaign blogs where I'm the DM).

I practically never read other campaign blogs. I might read it if there's a lot of meta game discussion, ie. the DM writing about how he did things, or why he did things, instead of retelling the in-game story. I'd read a DM session report for other DMs to read and comment on.

Masquerade

First Post
I have read a couple Story Hours on this site (none presently), but I don't comment. Frequent updating is important, but I'm more interested in an original story and characters.

Doug McCrae

Legend
I might read it if there's a lot of meta game discussion, ie. the DM writing about how he did things, or why he did things, instead of retelling the in-game story. I'd read a DM session report for other DMs to read and comment on.
Yeah that sort of stuff is actually useful. Crappy fan fic, not at all.

ab3's stories are the best account of roleplaying sessions ever written, for a number of reasons but partly because they're not sub-sub-sub-Tolkienesque drivel.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
It depends on the blog, really. I read a lot of them and enjoy them, but since I'm not a player, I rarely leave comments. Others, I read once and then never visit again.

Snoweel

First Post
Yeah that sort of stuff is actually useful. Crappy fan fic, not at all.

Me too.

I definitely want to read about what happened, both in-game and at the table. I have no desire to read a novelisation of someone's game, and let's face it, a story written by 5+ people (even if all the actual writing is done by only one) is going to suck as a novel.

Remove ads