• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Do Player Characters Have Average Population Stat Distributions?

Are hero PCs bound to average population statistics?

• I agree with the proposition: PCs do not have to follow average population stats of NPCs

Votes: 62 69.7%
  • I disagree: if the average NPC orc is stronger, PC orcs also have to be stronger on average

Votes: 27 30.3%

G

Guest 6801328

And that's the thing. Some of us feel very strongly that the PCs should be the part of the world in the way that those realities of the setting apply to them just like they do to the NPCs and feel very strongly that the fluff should be reflected in the rules. That is the fundamental core of the disagreement, and as it ultimately is a preference issue, no one is gonna change their mind. There simply cannot be one solution that satisfies everyone, or even close to it.

But my suggestion in another thread to address this to simply write the rules to contain options to how to handle this. Break up all the species features and ASIs into clear half-feat-sized chunks. Then there can be predetermined packages with equal number of such traits (six, maybe?) for those people who like having solidly determined species in their setting. It also supports subspecies, four traits from species, two from the subspecies. But the biggest thing from your perspective that it allows those GMs who want more flexibility to just ignore the premade packages and let the players just choose any six such traits for their character. And for people who like rigidly defined species but also like making their own stuff (so me) it would allow easily creating new species.

Yes, I know. I would just much rather (of course) have my preference be RAW, and your preference be the option/houserule. :)

Yes, I know. I would just much rather (of course) have my preference be RAW, and your preference be the option/houserule. :)
Same, but I don't think it ultimately matters terribly much. Feats and point buy are optional rules and still commonly used. And of course there is no reason the rules couldn't be written in a way that wouldn't posit one way of as the default. You can just as easily have: "there are several ways to handle this, choose which method to use in your campaign."

Phoebasss

Explorer
As
Same, but I don't think it ultimately matters terribly much. Feats and point buy are optional rules and still commonly used. And of course there is no reason the rules couldn't be written in a way that wouldn't posit one way of as the default. You can just as easily have: "there are several ways to handle this, choose which method to use in your campaign."
Yeah, so long as the book actually includes the option to separate out ASIs, which base 5e doesn’t, I’ll be satisfied. Also I just want races to be more interesting and present in general. Once you get to combat 80% of races have nothing unique to offer.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Maybe an extra die for one or two stats, so 5d6-2L.
That should work as well. IIRC I already checked it, but I have checked SO many options at this point I really couldn't tell ya. o_O

Actually, just ran it. You would want to select 3 rolls of 5d6-2L and then do 3 rolls of 4d6-L.

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Things I recall changing my mind about on Enworld:
  • The portrayal of orcs is a problem. (I initially dismissed that as political correctness run amok.)
  • Recently persuaded by @Chaosmancer that Sorcerers have a problem (specifically that when subclass abilities are fueled by sorcery points it forces them to choose between the subclass ability and the base class ability.)
  • Like @Ovinomancer, I was seduced by the "metagaming is not a problem" camp
  • @Bawylie convinced me that there is a tiny glimmer of something worth exploring in the otherwise perfectly odious Warlord class.
  • Alright alright alright....chainmail bikinis are not ok. Sheesh.

I've yet to be persuaded that there's any purpose to "signing" every forum post, however.
I never would have taken you for a Warlord hater. Glad Bawyle convinced you they’re not totally without value at least.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads