D&D (2024) Do you actually like weapon masteries?

The greatsword or greataxe would also get a weapon mastery along with the damage. Flex is a weapon mastery, so if a versatile weapon was used two handed, the user would have to choose between flex and whatever else was the option, so why not?
Because not everyone benefits from weapon mastery. Why would a non-warrior with martial weapon proficiency ever choose a greatsword over a longsword if both could deal 1d12/2d6 damage?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
yeah that is an issue but if they let fighters pick and replace sooner that wouldn't be an issue
Yeah, as I've said, I like the concept of weapon mastery, but feel the execution in the playtest packet is borked. In my game I am considering using something like the weapon mastery abilities as special qualities of the weapons that are unlocked by users of higher levels. Since I use the Level Up fighter and that system's excellent Combat Maneuvers, I don't worry about fighting classes not having enough to do.

The Old Crow

Explorer
Because not everyone benefits from weapon mastery. Why would a non-warrior with martial weapon proficiency ever choose a greatsword over a longsword if both could deal 1d12/2d6 damage?
No you are right, I think I misread the argument. I'm just hung up on flex not increasing the damage versatile weapons do when used two handed. Flex should increase both, and I have no idea why it doesn't.

No you are right, I think I misread the argument. I'm just hung up on flex not increasing the damage versatile weapons do when used two handed. Flex should increase both, and I have no idea why it doesn't.
Flex is trying to be elegant, using the weapons table as is, playing off of Versatile. But because the game does not have a "bump up the damage die" mechanic like 3E, increasing the damage dice outside of the Versatile entry doesn't work. Versatile is different between weapons. Some are 1d6->1d8 (spear and quarterstaff) and some are 1d8->1d10 (the martial Versatile Weapons), so a single Flex definition that kicks the damage up for 2hd wielding would have to somehow cover all that functionality that does not exist in the game.

First 2d6 averages 7, 1d12 averages 6.5. Why wouldn't they take the greatsword other than in very situational cases? Half a point of damage per hit is better than nothing. (And the difference extends further if you're a Paladin with Great Weapon Fighter). Versatile is a ribbon ability.

Second why are they taking a two handed weapon in the first place? With the possible exception of Paladins they aren't meant to be primary melee damage dealers and I think everyone who can take a two handed weapon can also take a shield. If the answer is something like "For style" then that's a fine answer.

If you don't want to use flex, wouldn't that cut you out of some pretty common weapons? There are a lot of character concepts that use flex weapons.
How many times have you seen characters actually flex their flex weapons? Because I haven't seen the Versatile property be actually used in practice since 4e. Which is why it's given to some weapons as a freebie.

Remove ads