Do you allow.... any prestige class that is published by WOTC?

Do you allow any prestige class published by WOTC?

• Yes. If it is good for WOTC, its good for me.

Votes: 15 19.7%
  • No. Only those that meet certain criteria (culturally relevant, etc.).

Votes: 60 78.9%
  • No. I don't use any that they publish. I hate their prestige classes.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Cloudgatherer

First Post
I really dont' think anyone is going to allow or disallow them all.

I pretty much accept the DMG prestige classes as fairly balanced. Even the arcane archer is fairly balanced when you consider an archer who gets GMW from the party mage or cleric.

Some of the class books are a little "out there" though. Even some of the FRCS PrCs I think are a bit too high strung. While individually, they are good classes, I often wonder about the cumulative effect of prestige classes (Archmage + Shadow Adept + Greater Spell Focus + Spellcasting Prodigy).

Someguy

First Post
Well, then they have found true power I guess...But It rhink it is up to the DM to dissallow a PrC based on roleplaying, if the player isn't rolepalying the prC(or class for that matter), then the player can't take it...

Crothian

First Post
So, far I have not disallowed any. We've had a Dulest, a Dragon Disciple, a Lasher, a Dwarven Defender, An Intiate of the Bow, an Arcane Archer, and a tatooed Monk. We have had no problem with any of these.

Tsyr

Explorer
Right now I have a Bladesinger (revised), an Iajutsu Master, and a Candle Caster, none of which are causing any problems. Despite some people claiming it is too powerfull, I find the Bladesinger has a few pretty severe weaknesess... running out of spells in a long session of combat being the most severe, but also others...

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Well, from what I understand from Monte's site they don't even playtest them all (though they have gotten better apparently). Ergo, I kind of treat them with some suspicion

Holy Bovine

First Post
I am very surprised no one has voted that they use none of them. With all the hatred directed towards WotC products sometimes I would think that ONE person would have voted option 3.

I voted option 2.

And there is only one player who has taken a PrC in my game (a Loremaster from the DMG - very good class, good abilities but not overpowered at all). But the cleric is now shooting for Contemplative from DotF after she has a near-death experience with her goddess - very good role-playing on her part convinced me that she had more than earned this.

And the Loremaster PC had, from level one, a real desire to increase his knowledge of all things arcane and Loremaster just made sense PR-wise. That is how I like my players to choose PrCs for their PCs - get it from the experiences in the game and roleplaying - much more satisfying IMO.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Holy Bovine said:
I am very surprised no one has voted that they use none of them. With all the hatred directed towards WotC products sometimes I would think that ONE person would have voted option 3.

Because it says "certain criteria" That could mean lots of things:

* WotC pays me $1,200 and a old copy of their "Primal Order" game to let one of my players take a PrC.

* Nazis threaten to shoot my brother's cat if I don't let a player take a PrC.

* The player -- who just happens to be Milla Jovovich -- says "please".

There's lots of situations where I'll let a player take whatever PrC they want. Granted, those situations are rarely likely....

Holy Bovine

First Post
BiggusGeekus said:

Because it says "certain criteria" That could mean lots of things:

* WotC pays me $1,200 and a old copy of their "Primal Order" game to let one of my players take a PrC.

* Nazis threaten to shoot my brother's cat if I don't let a player take a PrC.

* The player -- who just happens to be Milla Jovovich -- says "please".

There's lots of situations where I'll let a player take whatever PrC they want. Granted, those situations are rarely likely....

LOL!! I guess you're right. It is pretty open isn't it.

Milla Jovovich - wasn't she the gal in The Messenger and Fifth Element?

If so she can come into MY game anytime!(my fiancee isn't around ;) :D )

Remove ads