• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you allow material from Dragon Magazine into your games?

green slime

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
It may require some tweaking to avoid abuse, but that would have no effect at all on the reason the player wants it in the first place, right? Surely, the goal is story-oriented?

Mwahahahahaha!!!

Seriously, I'm following this line of thought. Pity after the tweaking those players aren't much interested any more.

shilsen

Adventurer
Nope. In my game the core rules and the ECS book are the only things automatically allowed, with material from the Complete books and other Eberron books allowed on a case by case basis.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Hell yeah! We use more stuff from Dragon (or that originated in Dragon) than probably any other given supplement.

Glyfair

Explorer
On a case by case basis. I've even recommended certain articles to players (like the Hexblade article for my player who was running a hexblade/marshal). No one has taken me up on it, though.

werk

First Post
I'll chime in on the hardly ever side. I've allowed a few things, races, classes, equipment, but most of the 'good stuff' isn't applicable in our campaigns and/or wouldn't fit.

I treat it basically the same as third party material.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I treat Dragon like any WotC (or good 3rd party) source- I'll let you use it if it fits the campaign and isn't horribly broken. It is, after all "100% official" material- the later stuff, at least.

For instance, I'm more likely to use Dragon than any of the "Races Of" or "Heroes of" series, and I won't use Soulknives without Dragon #341 or OA stuff without Dragon #318.

As yet, nobody has asked to use something from Dragon that I found problematic.

Shellman

First Post
Thanks for your input. I pretty much figured most DM's would be open to Non WoTC material once they had a chance to review it, at least from Dragon.

Mycanid

First Post
Yeah - I pretty much agree with Danny on this.

I remember back in the old days, for example, that I just refused to use the 1e PHB monks and would ONLY use those from the "Best of the Dragon" volume published with it inside....

Sometimes things are gotten better in one place than the other. As long as everyone is one the same page it should be fine. :)

wmasters

First Post
Yeah, me too, on a case-by-case basis. That's pretty much true of any source though, even a homebrew PrC that a player has come up with. I can see no reason not to allow a PrC that a player wants to play if it's not unbalancing and fits with the setting. Equally I'll disallow anything from any of the book if it doesn't fit those criteria (there are no Duelists allowed in my current campaign, for example, because they're entirely inappropraite. Or, for that matter, Clerics or Paladins).

Remove ads