Do you allow players to switch skill ranks around for PRC quals?

Uller

Adventurer
As a general rule, I allow players to modify skills, feats, spells, etc. to a limited degree. Why? Because I want my players to play characters they like. My players are not really power gamers and they aren't the kind of player who would take sleep at first level knowing they can change it later to something more useful at higher level(not that I really would give a crap if they did...I'd never create a 10th level sorcerer NPC with a sleep spell, but I'd definately make a 3rd level one with sleep).

If a player chooses a skill or feat early in his career that he later decides just hasn't been as useful or interesting has he originally hoped and it is making him unhappy with his character, why not allow him to change it?

So I would allow him to change things around a bit to meet a PrC req under two conditions: 1) The player was unaware of the PrC when he made the choices that prevent him from taking it now. 2) The changes are relatively minor. For major changes, the change would have to take place over time and he'd have to stop using the skill he want to "depricate". (Edit: One more condition: the PrC matches the PC's concept).

As for dealing with the inconsistancies: Who cares? It's a game. I could care less if PCs capabilities change every once in a while. Besides, people change over time. 10 years ago when I was in the Army, I qualified as an Expert with an M16. I used shoot various types of weapons a few times per month. Now that I've been in the civilian world for nearly a decade and maybe go to the shooting range once or twice a year and only shoot with my "hunting" rifles(I'm too impatient to actually hunt), I would probably have trouble qualifying at all. When I was in college, I aced Calculus I and II freshman Physics, Differntial Equations, Linear Algebra and several related classes. Now, I'd have trouble figuring out the derivative of anything but the simplist equations. When I was a kid, I had a mean slap shot and could deliver a viscious hip check. Now, I'm a bit shaky on my skates and my slap shot is wildly inaccurate and weak. Throughout life, our skills change.

Last edited:

Remove ads