Do you allow players to switch skill ranks around for PRC quals?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I've found in d&d 3e that many players do not know what prestige class they want to enter in to, if any, until around the time when they could have qualified for that class, had they planned on it from the beginning. This can particularly be a problem with prestige classes that require a maxed-out skill rank in a fairly obscure skill (like profession: sailor, 9 ranks, or something like that).

Now that isn't a huge problem for a player with a class like rogue, with their numerous skill ranks each level. But for the classes that get few skills each level, like fighters and clerics, it can be a serious pain in the butt to qualify for a prestige class that they just figured out they wanted (or they just finally convinced the DM would be an appropriate new prestige class).

Does anyone out there use a house rule that players can exchange skill ranks a bit, once a prestige class makes sense, to qualify? If so, do you do it on a one-for-one basis, or something else? Is there a criteria for which skills you allow people to switch around (like "You can switch knowledge: nature for wilderness lore ranks, but you can't swap craft: boater for concentration ranks")?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Steven McRownt

First Post
I don't have any House rules on that topic, but while reading it i had this idea. It could be thrown away, or used as a starting point.

Let the player have a skill-points' loan.
I can't allow a character who was good in a skill, forget at once all his experience. So you can say that he gain those skill points when levelling, but they must be used for reaching as soon as possible the PrC prereq. You can even decide for some interest rates (they will loose some skill-points in the future, or even a feat).

What do you think?

Steven Mcrownt

Jack Haggerty

First Post
Assuming that the Prestige Class is appropriate for the type of character that is being played...

Why not just alter the pre-requisites for the PrC to something the character can (wants to) attain?

-Eä-

First Post
I must say that Jack Haggerty's suggestion seems much more realistic than exchanging skill points. Especially if the character has a skill that is fairly similar to the prerequisite, like Wldnerness Lore v. Knowledge: Nature, for instance.

Lily Inverse

First Post
Well. . . . .

I usually allow a player to substitute some skills if they can make a good case, but at a penalty (For example, three ranks of Wilderness Lore is worth two of Knowledge, Nature for purposes of qualifying for hte class.) No sense in making it TOO easy, after all. ^_^

Argamath

First Post
allow PCs to switch skill ranks?

Maybe if they had not used the skill since the increase and it wouldn't directly impact their current encounter.

Maybe, but probably not.

~ Argamath ~

Jerrid Al-Kundo

First Post
Nope.

The PClasses in my campaign are world-specific; The majority of them are unknown to the Players to begin with, and the qualifications are learned in game when such come up (generally, when it's a good time in-game to allow it). After that, the PCs pursue them as they wish.

These, of course, have different measures.

Example: Sisterhood of Shadow
This PClass is part of an exclusive order. The members are trained from childhood, thus any PCs that are candidates begin Level 0 as candidates or must work extensively to gain the Sisterhood's trust and confidence. The PClass itself is high level (5 Levels, minimum 12th Level Arcane Caster requirements), and the PC is considered an apprentice of the Sisterhood (or a "Daughter") with a mentor (or "Mother") until finally qualifying. The Mother will suggest proper courses of study, although that these are more than simple recommendations isn't stated.

In game, one PC is currently a Daughter of Shadow, being a 5th Level Wizard. She is aware that she holds Apprentice status and will continue to do so until somewhere around 12th-15th Level.

Example: Madoni Legionaire
This PClass is the foundation of the mercenary companies that operate out of the nation Ma'don. The prereqs are all based on infantry/military training, most of which is only obtainable by enlisting in the Legions. Once the character enlists, they receive the required training.

In game, two PCs are currently ranked within the Madoni Legions, although their enlistment is recent. One is a Fighter4/Rogue2, the other a PsychicWarrior4. They have some of the Skills but none of the Feats, and will likely not qualify until almost 10th Level, if not later.

Example: Death Master
This PClass is the result of years of studious research of the Necromantic Arts. Most of the knowledge required is forbidden, and the fact that the PClass exists is unknown to most people. Learning of this PClass is gained through serendipity; By researching the Black Arts, a character may learn of the possibility of becoming one. When the character actually gains the prereqs, which includes Skills, Feats and a minimum number of created undead, the secrets of this class are revealed and the character may begin taking levels in the Class.

In game, the Necromantic Arts are believed to have been trimmed down to near-elimination. That this PClass is possible would surprise my Players, who think I simply dislike Necromancy and chose to reduce its impact in my campaign. They have confused the term Forbidden with Removed, which is fine by me.

Example: Daelori Hero
This PClass has been heard of by the characters; However, that it is a PClass and not just a title of honor is unknown. This has been done to be purposefully misleading. Anyone that has proven themselves heroic can gain the title Clan Hero, while the title Daelori Hero is given to those that have done great deads to impress all of the Daelori Clans. Unknown to PCs is that when the High Clans vote to give this status to a Clansman, the Druids will test the Hero Candidate. If the Candidate is approved and already has the qualifications, they are annointed with the honors of the title and may begin taking levels in the PClass. If the Candidate is approved but doesn't qualify, the Druids will begin to train (or arrange for the training of) the individual in the Skill, Feat, and Spellcasting requirements. If the Candidate isn't approved, then the title isn't given; Having or not having the prerequisites is a non-factor in this regard.

In game, one PC is soon to be honored as a Clan Hero. He has also chosen to take a level or two of Druid simply for flavor (the Daelori are basically Celtic); As he is unaware that a Daelori Hero is also a PClass and not just a title, he is unaware that he is naturally, be adhereing to the Celtic theme, obtaining the Prereqs for this Class. He is well on his way, and the Druids are indeed watching him.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I certainly like the idea of the DM taking up the responsibility of making it an in-game playable event to become a prestige class, i just don't think that is likely in this game. The rest of the party would probably not want to go along for the training ride for one players prestige class.

I like the idea of the loan, and of the "alter the prestige class to fit the character idea".

For those of you that do no allow any house rule for this, don't you think that creates a significant bias towards prestige classes that have base attack bonus, class level, and particular spell access (all of which occur without you even knowing that you are working towards a prestige class), and a bias away from prestige classes with skills and feats as a prerequisite? Is there some good in-game reason for creating this bias, or is it just an attitude of "the rules are the rules"?

Terraism

Explorer
I'd side with Mr. Haggarty - if the prestige class is anything fitting to the character, why not modify the requirements just a bit? I'd say that, like others, Wilderness Lore makes a good sub for Knowledge: Nature. As far as your Profession: Piracy example - well, I'm not going into how ludicrous I think some of the profession skill are, but - I'd say that so long as the character's acted like a pirate, and perhaps has some knowledge of ships through another skill, I'd call it a go.

Al-Kundo - I don't know about anyone else, but I'd like to hear a bit more about some of those prestige classes of yours... :)

Last edited:

Remove ads