• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do You Blog?

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
I find it funny that people take the time and effort (and are so narcissistic) that they need a forum for their thoughts all for themselves. Public conversation on BBs are like being at a party. You go in and out of conversations as they happen around you.

Hmmm ... then maybe me having a blog where people can come join me talk about what I like, maybe through comments or such is like throwing my own party, instead of just hanging at EN World?

It's "here's what I have to say, and feel free to listen or join the conversation."

I have a blog. And I think I have things to write about in that blog that will interest other people. That could be narcissistic, maybe. Egocentric even. I sure can be an arrogant prick when it comes to judging my own abilities, but at least I know that people like to read what I write. Sometimes they even pay me to do it. :D

So a blog just feels natural to me.

/M

Last edited:

pawsplay

Hero
I find it funny that people take the time and effort (and are so narcissistic) that they need a forum for their thoughts all for themselves. Public conversation on BBs are like being at a party. You go in and out of conversations as they happen around you.

Having a blog is like setting up a podium at the mall hopingimagining someone stops and listens to you.

Everyone look at Herschel!

Frost

First Post
Dear (public) Diary: I have become so self-absorbed I now believe there are large numbers of people I don't really know who give a flying rat's backside what my personal thoughts and feelings are. ;)

So no.

Condescend much?

No one makes anyone read another person's blog. I like my blog because it allows me to share my thoughts with anyone who cares to listen. That doesn't mean I expect anyone to listen.

So, yes, it is a narcissistic act, but not really any more than adding your thoughts to a public forum with the presumption that folks give a damn about the 2 cents you're adding. At least when it comes to blogging, folks can choose who they want to hear from.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
In my experience/opinion, getting emotionally crucial 'information' from unknown/anonymous people behind a keyboard is a very dangerous practice. If it makes someone feel better, so be it, it's a free country.

I think you are making a big mistake equating all blogs with intense outpourings of personal emotions.

Most blogs that gamers are writing are about games and gaming, believe it or not.

/M

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter

Having a blog is like setting up a podium at the mall hopingimagining someone stops and listens to you.
Not every one blogs for this reason. I blog on issues that I have encountered in writing software. I though about doing 3 or 4 years ago when I though it would be great way to document solutions to issues that has one banging ones head in frustration and ones Google fu has failed that one know was solved about a year ago and cannot remember what was done at the time.
I did not do it at the time and have regretted it ever since.
I really do not care if any one else ever reads it as long as I can use it as a resource for me.
Since it is online, it should not be adversely affected by my disk failures or a sudden urge to install an new OS at two in the morning.

Lord Xtheth

First Post
What would be a good place to start one's first Blog?
Here on EN world?
Blogger?
livejournal?
anywhere else?

I checked out that RPGbloggers and it seems that they're not accepting any applications at the moment.
What are your experiences with the blog hosts you have used?

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
What would be a good place to start one's first Blog?
Here on EN world?
Blogger?
livejournal?
anywhere else?

I checked out that RPGbloggers and it seems that they're not accepting any applications at the moment.
What are your experiences with the blog hosts you have used?
Well I am on Blogger and i have no real problems so far (about a year now). It's pretty easy to use. I have used MS Windows Live Writer for my last post and it integrates seamlessly. It is handy to have something that spell checks your posts.

I have never looked at ENWorlds blogging facility but I understand that it is pretty much like making a forum post in terms of interface.

Though if you want readers you have to publicise it, So ENWorld would have advantages there because of the inbuilt and coming social network tools.

Herschel

Adventurer
I think you are making a big mistake equating all blogs with intense outpourings of personal emotions.

Most blogs that gamers are writing are about games and gaming, believe it or not.

/M
It's not just an outpouring of emotion, it's the search for validation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads