D&D General Do you care about lore?

Reynard

Legend
This came up in one of the Ravenloft threads and I am just curious: do you care about official aka "canon" lore for D&D, either the implied setting or a specific campaign world? Does it bother you if that lore is changed with editions? Should a new version of a setting be "required" to not contradict a previous version?

For my part, I don't care much at all. Chances are I am going to change some stuff anyway if I am using a published setting and if I am homebrewing chances are the stuff in the Monster Manual or whatever isn't relevant in the first place. I don't read novel lines or pour over setting books, so I probably wouldn't notice most changes anyway.

loverdrive

Prophet of the profane (She/Her)
I don't care about detailed info, and generally prefer things to be painted with broad strokes with a lot of blank spaces in-between.

The only thing in D&D lore I really care about is the Great Wheel.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
If I am using a published setting, I try to cleave as closely as possible to the established lore in the books as that is, in my view, one of the main reasons to play in a published setting - to explore that world's lore.

If I'm doing my own thing, the lore gets created as we play with just a bit on the front end from me (as little as possible). Over time it becomes more fully-realized with the group's contributions.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Indisputable Premise 1: In 1e, Bards had a Legend Lore percentage.
Indisputable Premise 2: In 5e, Bards have a College of Lore.

Indubitable Conclusion: Lore is just another sneaky Bard tactic.

Therefore, lore, like bards, must be exterminated with extreme prejudice.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
This came up in one of the Ravenloft threads and I am just curious: do you care about official aka "canon" lore for D&D, either the implied setting or a specific campaign world? Does it bother you if that lore is changed with editions? Should a new version of a setting be "required" to not contradict a previous version?

I care about lore only insofar as it is relevant to something I am playing or running. I do not give a whit if lore changes between editions, unless I am playing in a campaign that spans editions.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
This came up in one of the Ravenloft threads and I am just curious: do you care about official aka "canon" lore for D&D, either the implied setting or a specific campaign world? Does it bother you if that lore is changed with editions?
Depends on the lore, the canon, the setting, and the campaign world. If I enjoy it, I'm upset when it changes; if I don't enjoy it and it's changed to something I enjoy, I'm glad for the change; if I don't enjoy it and it's changed to something else I don't enjoy, I'm slightly upset as it could have been made into something I enjoy. And this only applies to settings I like. Al-Qadim, Dark Sun, Mystara, Ravenloft, and Spelljammer. Beyond those, I don't really care.
Should a new version of a setting be "required" to not contradict a previous version?
That's a ridiculous notion. At that point WotC should just make evergreen setting supplements for the various campaign worlds and only produce a tiny booklet of the updated edition's rules changes as they pertain to that campaign. Now that I type that out. I kinda want them to do that. But none of the settings should be locked in like that. They're not written in stone. Once they stop evolving over time they die.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I guess I have no connection or interest in canon D&D lore, myself. I'll Google a few things as it pertains to a character I'm making for a specific adventure/campaign, like "what FR gods would my peace-loving cleric follow?" or "where in the Ten-Towns area would my aged shaman make a living?".

Arilyn

Hero
I use lore for inspiration, but it very rarely survives intact. The lore in my current Liminal game, for example is different. I threw out the nests of political vampires pulling strings, because I'm just sooo tired of that trope. My vampires are rare, solitary beings instead.

I used Forgotten Realms a lot back in the day, but it's significantly different. I find other people's ideas are awesome for inspiration, but it has to become ours at the table.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases