D&D 5E Do you care about setting "canon"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
I have looked, long and hard, for a way to fit Dragonborn in my world. I am on the cusp of getting them worked out as a culture, but they were previously unplayable. If a player has wanted to play them, I would have said no. This world has been entirely my construction, and I cannot shove a random Dragonborn in just because a player is feeling entitled. I have been lucky enough that they showed no such interest yet, so there was no such confrontation.

to describe such a DM is situational. In my case, I have slowly built my own world, from the ground up. My players specifically refused to help in any way, saying they just wanted a world to play in, not put work into making one. I would describe myself, and a DM like me, as perfectly competent (in that particular area at least. My competency in other areas is questionable). It is a different discussion of it is a published world, and a players absolute favorite race is Dragonborn. then there is a reasonable argument for including the race against the DMs preferences, IMO. At that point, a description is pointless, as the situation either works out, or it doesn't. Either side could be labeled as lazy, obstinate, or childish, by the other.

My point however, is that simply not including a race is not "laziness", by necessity. There can be any number of reasons for an exclusion or change, and if it is not a players own world, I don't see why they would get the trump card to choose what does or does not belong in it.

If WotC can figure out a way to add Dragonborn to Forgotten Realms, Dark Sun and Eberron then why can you not figure out a way to get a Dragonborn into Lanliss-land? Not even the old favourite of "a Wizard did it"?

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Or someone else picks up the DMG and runs the game. If a player is so keen to play something the initial DM won't run, they can run the game and include as many dragonborn, kender, tieflings, or whatever they want.

Yeah but in the time that it takes them to look through the PHB and cross out all the Races, Classes, Subclasses, Spells and Feats that they dont want you to play we may as well do something else.

cmad1977

Hero
Using your analogy, and attempting to explain what appears to be [MENTION=94143]Shasarak[/MENTION]'s view that you just don't seem to be getting:

Not eating liver because you don't like the taste makes perfect sense. I don't eat liver either, interestingly enough.

But when you say "No dragonborn at my table." it doesn't sound like you are saying "No liver for me, thanks." so much as it sounds like "No liver for anyone eating at the same table as me."

It's closer to a guest coming over and demanding you make them a steak when they know you're a vegan.

'Not making a guest steak on demand is lazy hosting'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pkt77242

Explorer
It's closer to a guest coming over and demanding you make them a steak when they know you're a vegan.

'Not making a guest steak on demand is lazy hosting'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe that is how you (and some others) think of DMing.

To me it is more collaborative with my players. More like a potluck if you will.

Lanliss

Explorer
If WotC can figure out a way to add Dragonborn to Forgotten Realms, Dark Sun and Eberron then why can you not figure out a way to get a Dragonborn into Lanliss-land? Not even the old favourite of "a Wizard did it"?

Basic Authorial Integrity. I built my world, understand all of its internal consistencies and, until recently, there was nowhere a proper Dragonborn would have fit. If a player were so inclined as to assist in constructing a story that leads to a Dragonborn-like creature (through such a situation as a Wizard, or eruption of chaos) then I would have happily worked with them on how that would fit in my world. If a player just says they want a Dragonborn, and I am lazy for not including them in the world, good luck getting anything at all, let alone what they want. I consider myself fair, and am happy to compromise, or meet someone halfway, if the player is willing to actually work towards that point. I will not simply give someone what they want without any work on their end.

You seem to be the sort who is willing to work towards that halfway point, which is awesome. You don't know my players though, who are most certainly not that sort. I can't even talk potential mechanics with them for the homebrew classes they want without them complaining about how they don't want to deal with that stuff. I am of the mindset that you get what you earn, so them refusing to help me fit aberrant subjects into my world gives them little chance of those functioning how they want them to.

See, like I said. Either side could be called lazy, depending on the situation.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
It's closer to a guest coming over and demanding you make them a steak when they know you're a vegan
How so? Walk me through it, because you clearly see the situations differently than I do.

I see the player wanting a thing, and the DM having to do nothing more than allow them to have that thing - like someone bringing their own food to my house, and me not having a fit at them because I don't want to eat it.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
See, like I said. Either side could be called lazy, depending on the situation.

So if you are willing to work with a Player to fit a Dragonborn into your game then where is the problem?

Why are you self describing as a "lazy" DM when it seems to not be the case?

Lanliss

Explorer
How so? Walk me through it, because you clearly see the situations differently than I do.

I see the player wanting a thing, and the DM having to do nothing more than allow them to have that thing - like someone bringing their own food to my house, and me not having a fit at them because I don't want to eat it.

Do vegans generally keep steak waiting in their house for guests to ask for them? This is a case of the guest wanting the Host to go to the store, and spend money on food that the Host refuses to even eat. Now, as I mentioned in my post above, if a guest brought their own steak, and asked to throw it in the grill, I would be happy to let them, and maybe even cook it for them. I am not going out of my way for someone who demands things that take work to aquire/make work, but refused to do any of that work themselves. At least, that is the direction I am coming at this conversation from. Maybe my players have given me a bit of a bias, but I am not much a fan of people "wanting", yet refusing to work for things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads