Do you care?

johnsemlak

First Post
I definitely care about losing my character. The higher the level, the more I care, but it really does make me upset (mildly).

Unfortunately, this hurts me as a DM. I'm afraid to kill off PCs because I know as a player I don't like loosing a PC.

eris404

Explorer
randomling said:
So how much do other people care when their PC dies? Have you had specific characters that you were particularly sad to lose?

I really try not to, but I do get attached, even though my characters seem to be the first or most likely to die in my group. It's a combination of bad luck/bad rolls, bad ideas and class choices with low hit points. :\ But like everyone else, I have tons of character concepts and classes I haven't tried yet, so something positive does come out of it. And, my gaming group is very sympathetic and will go that "extra mile" to get a beloved character raised. (Thanks guys!)

Ibram

First Post
for me its more a matter of how long I've been playing the character, rather then the character its self. If its a new character then it wont bother me much, but if its one I've been using for a while the I'd be... well not upset... but I would be kinda thrown.

eris404

Explorer
johnsemlak said:
Unfortunately, this hurts me as a DM. I'm afraid to kill off PCs because I know as a player I don't like loosing a PC.

Actually, this makes you sound like a good DM to me. I think most good DMs are secretly rooting for the PCs anyway. :)

Crothian

First Post
Why does the death of a character have to be the end of a character? Okay, in Midnight it probably has to, but in many campaign worlds death can be just the beginning of chapter 2. :D

randomling

First Post
I'm not necessarily the world's biggest fan of settings where resurrection is easily available - one of the things that made me want to play in Midnight is the finality of death. (Just one, mind.)

I've only been playing Jez a little while. The things that made me attached to her weren't the length of time playing her, but the connections she had formed with the other PCs (some of my best roleplaying moments have been with this character) and the effort that had gone into deciding who she was.

I haven't DMed in a while but I'm definitely "soft" when it comes to PC deaths. :D

alsih2o

First Post
Wow. I get attached to other peoples characters.

When I am DMing i really regret killing some folks. I do it, but I miss them.

Talmun

First Post
It's sad when a charecter that you've put a lot of effort into (either in playing time or backstory) dies. I once had a charecter in a CoCd20 game that I had written a really detailed, and sordid, background for. I was really excited about playing him...he died in the first session...before I met the rest of the party.

Remove ads