• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Do you find Fantasy Grounds just too much of an investment?

Hussar

Legend
In person? Or online? Sounds like you are meeting in person, which we are not.

But, why do you need video chat in a purely online game? You actually look at each other? Good grief, I've played with my current online group for going on ten years for some of them and I have no idea what they look like. Nor do I particularly feel the need to see them.

What's the advantage?

Cody C. Lewis

First Post
But, why do you need video chat in a purely online game? You actually look at each other? Good grief, I've played with my current online group for going on ten years for some of them and I have no idea what they look like. Nor do I particularly feel the need to see them.

What's the advantage?

Seriously? It's a much more enjoyable experience in my opinion.

Yes. We look at each other. I certainly consider gestures part of role-playing.

The Acquisition Incorporated videos are way better than their podcasts. Again, in my opinion.

Xorne

First Post

What's the advantage?

I played with my current online group for a long time as a face-to-face game when I lived in Kansas City; then I moved to Montana for work, and we continued playing over Fantasy Grounds--it's nice to see their faces while we play. Before Roll20 came along (we use Roll20 for video, and FG to actually play) we just used RaidCall (free, kick-ass VOIP) but the video really did enhance the game for me.

Hussar

Legend
Also, why would you use video for anything other than online?

:)

I could see it if you had one or two remote players in a face to face game. But in a purely online game? How many monitors do you each have? I have enough trouble with real estate in any VTT without adding six video windows.

epithet

Explorer
One of the advantages to playing online instead of in person is that no one can see that I've got a bedhead, ratty t-shirt, or a bathrobe on. I don't even have a webcam hooked up--I use Skype purely for voice.

Nylanfs

Adventurer
Smiteworks and wotc just included the Basic Rules in all licenses (except the demo) and made the first month of the sub free

Cody C. Lewis

First Post
I could see it if you had one or two remote players in a face to face game. But in a purely online game? How many monitors do you each have? I have enough trouble with real estate in any VTT without adding six video windows.

I would suggest doing a couple searches on Youtube for D&D games.

I think it would explain things a lot easier than me trying to describe it all in a forum.

Also, for the record, screen space is the reason I want built in video lol.

DMCF

First Post
But you're not only gaining tokens. You are gaining drag and drop functionality.
Personally, I don't buy hardcovers anymore. They just sit on the shelf. I just buy the FG version and I've had no problems doing that. But, if you've already bought the hardcover, and you don't want to buy the FG version, then go to the FG forums and learn about the community Par5e project, you can create your own FG version from your hardcover MM (or PHB or DMG, or...)

Drag and Drop. Can you elaborate? The price for the books isn't competing with FG. It's the price for the miniatures and paints for the live game that compete with FG. That said, I also subbed to roll20. I'm aiming for current campaigns to be done when it ends (around Feb) and was thinking of checking it out.

Remove ads