• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Do you find Fantasy Grounds just too much of an investment?

Prism

Explorer

That link is about video for streaming which is different. What Fantasy Grounds doesn't have in it is embedded video chat so you can see each other while playing. You need to use Skype, Oovoo or Hangouts in addition and that pretty much needs a second monitor since FG works best full screen.

Roll20 has embedded video but to be honest its pretty rubbish and crashes a lot for us. We use Oovoo now, but it is hard to fit in on a laptop with all the other stuff going on.

Hussar

Legend
That link is about video for streaming which is different. What Fantasy Grounds doesn't have in it is embedded video chat so you can see each other while playing. You need to use Skype, Oovoo or Hangouts in addition and that pretty much needs a second monitor since FG works best full screen.

Roll20 has embedded video but to be honest its pretty rubbish and crashes a lot for us. We use Oovoo now, but it is hard to fit in on a laptop with all the other stuff going on.

This second monitor thing is so much crap. I'm sorry, but if the GUI is so piss poor and uncusomizable that you need a second monitor to use the program, someone needs to get their act together and make a decent GUI. This is one area where FG is absolutely garbage. I used OpenRPG back in 2003 and that had a better, more easily customizable, GUI than FG does. Why on earth do I need a chat window that takes up nearly a quarter of the screen? Sure, I can reduce the ratio on the chat window, until it's eyebleedingly small, but, why can't I undock it and dock it somewhere else on the window?

GRRR. This is really one part of FG where it's an utter failure.

Prism

Explorer
This second monitor thing is so much crap. I'm sorry, but if the GUI is so piss poor and uncusomizable that you need a second monitor to use the program, someone needs to get their act together and make a decent GUI. This is one area where FG is absolutely garbage. I used OpenRPG back in 2003 and that had a better, more easily customizable, GUI than FG does. Why on earth do I need a chat window that takes up nearly a quarter of the screen? Sure, I can reduce the ratio on the chat window, until it's eyebleedingly small, but, why can't I undock it and dock it somewhere else on the window?

GRRR. This is really one part of FG where it's an utter failure.

You can move the chat window within FG, resize it and change the font size. You need to unlock it first by right clicking on it. I tend to shrink it to about half its normal size. All of the other windows can be moved and resized too.

You only really need an extra monitor if you want to do video chat with the group and have the pictures being a decent size. This is the same with Roll20 to as the built in videos eat up a fair section of the gui.

Cody C. Lewis

First Post

Hussar

Legend
You can move the chat window within FG, resize it and change the font size. You need to unlock it first by right clicking on it. I tend to shrink it to about half its normal size. All of the other windows can be moved and resized too.

You only really need an extra monitor if you want to do video chat with the group and have the pictures being a decent size. This is the same with Roll20 to as the built in videos eat up a fair section of the gui.

Thanks for that. I didn't know you could right click on the window. Sigh.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)

They fixed that a few months ago by the way. Works pretty good now.

epithet

Explorer
The cost of Fantasy Grounds is two-fold. In terms of the program itself, it's cheap for what it gives you, honestly. I've been playing D&D and it's relatives for decades now, and after running a campaign in Fantasy Grounds for the past year I can tell you unreservedly that I would hate to go back to playing without it. The tools are robust, but they do require some experience to use to their potential. While it is possible to buy the software and some content and start running a game immediately, the truth is that you're not going to be very good at it until you gain a level of familiarity with the quirks of the program. It's not difficult, and it will only take a few sessions to get it down.

The second issue, though, is the cost of the content. When I first started using Fantasy Grounds, my group was playing Pathfinder. I bought the program and that's it. The Pathfinder content we were using was not as fully featured as the 5e content we're using now, but it didn't require re-purchasing the books. We created our characters in PCGen (for free.) A lot of stuff (feats, for example) we copy/pasted from the pfsrd, but it was easy to do. 5e is a completely different story.

Since there is no easy way to get the 5e content as clean text, you can't just copy/paste it into your character sheet. That leaves you with two real options: put together your own content module from a scanned document, or buy the WotC licensed stuff. The official content modules are pretty great, since they're produced by SmiteWorks and updated with corrections and additions. There is an ongoing effort to constantly improve these content modules as tools in addition to the content from the books, with automation built in to spells and class mechanics and stuff. They are incredibly useful game tools, that are getting better all the time based on user feedback. They're also outrageously expensive, especially if you've already paid for the content in the form of a hardcover.

The problem as I see it is the adventurer's league strategy at Wizards of the Cost. They clearly believe that facilitating "organised play" at a "FLGS" (f***ing local gaming store) is the key to the success of the D&D brand. I find that belief questionable, but presumably Wiz has more data than I do. Apparently the gaming store business model depends very heavily on selling overpriced books. I mean, I get that the Amazon price might be too low to match, but when you're charging twice the Amazon price, you're only selling to suckers and chumps. Maybe if a gaming store could find a reasonable price point they might start selling books to me--just sayin'. In any event, the perceived need to support the game store economics leads to WotC setting their MSRP at an unrealistic level and, apparently, prohibiting Smite Works from selling licensed D&D products at the price you might expect to pay for a digital product.

It would be reasonable to get the Fantasy Grounds module as an add-on to your hardcover order. Amazon is certainly set up to deliver a digital code along with the purchase of a physical product, it's not a heavy lift. The problem, I'm guessing, is that while Wizards doesn't want to lose out on book sales through Amazon, they also feel like they are beholden to these f***ing local gaming stores that are the gatekeepers of the Adventurer's League organised play stuff. WotC has been unequivocally incompetent when it comes to a digital product strategy for several years now, and I think the fear of offending the gaming stores is part of their problem in that regard.

I suppose the WotC beliefs are also based on their sales campaign for another game that involves gathering a bunch of magic cards.

Xorne

First Post
Actually WotC treats game store owners like :):):):)--at least the three game store owners I know personally. I pay full price for my books at the FLGS rather than Amazon; not because I am a chump--but because I don't want my FLGS to have to close his doors, taking away the place I like to play the games I'm buying.

If you're FLGS sucks balls and you don't care if they go under, then buy from Amazon. If you want your local business to succeed, then buy from them.

But two of the players in my group run off of laptops. We need video built-in. Period. Until then, we just can't even consider FG a legit option vs Roll20 for our group's needs.

I don't get this. Why do you need built in video? I use video when I play, and I use FG. We run with a 50" monitor and everyone has a laptop. I actually prefer video to be separate. We throw Skype up full screen on the 50" and then have a 25" monitor with the overview map on and everyone has their character sheet and combat map on their laptop.

Besides, running two applications means I don't have to worry about load balancing or single point of failure.

Cody C. Lewis

First Post
I don't get this. Why do you need built in video? I use video when I play, and I use FG. We run with a 50" monitor and everyone has a laptop. I actually prefer video to be separate. We throw Skype up full screen on the 50" and then have a 25" monitor with the overview map on and everyone has their character sheet and combat map on their laptop.

Besides, running two applications means I don't have to worry about load balancing or single point of failure.

In person? Or online? Sounds like you are meeting in person, which we are not.

Remove ads