D&D 5E Do you have a personal Players Handbook?

Oofta

Legend
I have a campaign website in Obsidian Portal. Not necessarily the greatest tool, and I might switch over to google docs but I have too much in there right now. What it does do well is provide me a wiki and a chat history.

So I have :
House Rules - I only have a handful.
Deities - I've taken the norse pantheon and added my own minor modifications. I've stolen demihuman gods mostly from FR and Greyhawk. So there's a section on who the deities are and so on (mostly copied from wikipedia or other sources).
World Description - the defined regions, notable who's who.

Campaign specific stuff takes up a lot. I've run (sometimes simultaneously) multiple campaigns in my world. So while I have an overall world timeline updated with specific campaign stuff, I also have more detailed campaign details.

I keep a campaign history here with high level summary of what's happening to whom. People can also post character bios and stories.

Satyrn

First Post
Since you play in my game, you know how I do it - which is to just make stuff up as I go (for the most part), building on what the players give me and what has already been established.

I don't have a lot of faith that players will read anything I put together in terms of a setting guide, so I try to keep that to a minimum. Also, it saves me the work!

Yeah, this what I do now, too.

I had made an alternate PHB for 3e structured like it, including the races, characters, deities and equipment.

The setting details came through partly in the description of the races and their place in the world, and in much greater detail in the description of the gods because I wanted religion and setting to essentially be the same thing. The gods were the world.

But now. Nothing.

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
I have three 5E PHB's, 4 3.5 PHB's, 4 3.0 PHB's, about 10 2E, and about 15 1E (great binding), 2 RC, wish I had more Basic material, and will probably get more. Just in case someone want to come and play and doesn't have one.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
If yop have done this, what are some things you kept in mind during the process? Did you try to keep house rules down to a certain page count? What formatting or order did you use for it? Did you try different formats, and pick a preferred style (Spiral bound, PDF, Pile of notebooks)?

I structured it after the table of contents in the PHB - A header for each section (i.e. Character creation, races, classes, equipment, feats, combat, spells, etc) and a bullet point for every change or new rule I made in that section.

Not yet.
I have a compilation of Unearthed Arcana and another of my own homebrew material. But not enough to fill a book. Just 28-pages.

Between my various DMs Guild purchase, I probably have enough for a book. Not sure how much I'd accept in my game: I'm happier homebrewing.
But Kobold Press, forthcoming 5e Midgard book will also fill a big gap.

Satyrn

First Post
by the way, I believe it was [MENTION=6716779]Zardnaar[/MENTION] who posted his personal Player's Handbook here a few months ago. Maybe he's got some advice for you.

monsmord

Adventurer
I just ran across this site this afternoon. I haven't explored it in depth, and it looks like there may be a gentle learning curve to exploit all the features, but if you're generating handout content just for your group and personal enjoyment, it may deliver some panache without as much overhead as other tools. Maybe. And it's free, always a plus. :)

Zardnaar

Legend
by the way, I believe it was [MENTION=6716779]Zardnaar[/MENTION] who posted his personal Player's Handbook here a few months ago. Maybe he's got some advice for you.

I did, its a compilation of the Kobold Press Midgard and SOuthland heroes and EN5ider articles. My PHB3 is the EN5sider classes (since obsoleted) and Unlikely Heroes which is the weaker on usefulness.

Remove ads