• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you like XP costs for magic item creation?

Do you like XP costs for magic item creation?

• Yes, I do.

Votes: 59 29.5%
  • No, I don't.

Votes: 141 70.5%

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
I don't know. I hate 4th edition too much to care, really. I haven't read enough about how they accomplished magic item creation in 4th edition to know what system they're using. Considering that in 3rd all magic items are based on some sort of spell (for the most part), and that they removed half the spells in 4th edition and only replaced a fraction of them with rituals, then creating all the items in 4th edition seems like a tricky proposition.

How do you create a Wind Fan if the Gust of Wind spell no longer exists to base it on?

Don't know (I don't play 4E either but I have stolen some things from it), I guess it's just magic.;)

Hey, justanobody. If you've looked over der kluge's doc, how would you apply it to a 4E type powers system?

Treebore

First Post
You don't see your "person" as synonymous with your "life", nor "power" as a synonym for "force"?

No, to me "personal power" is grown better at fighting, casting spells, greater wealth, better at thieving, etc... IE the same thing we talk about/mean when we refer to the personal power of people in the real world. Ie greater self discipline, greater skill, greater influence, etc...

At least thats all I hear mentioned in those "Increase your Personal Power!" sales pitches I see and hear all too often.

I don't remember anything about "Increase your Life Force" in them.

Again, I see why people have tied up XP with life force, I just see it as a bad game design choice, thats all. Which is why I house ruled it. XP is an indirect conduit to life force, not direct. CON and HP are much more direct, in how I look at it.

Treebore

First Post
Bleh, I voted I didn't like it, but after reading this thread I realize why we still use it.

It's simple, easy, and avoids stepping in the convoluted rationale for other costs.

Even if XP cost is a convoluted rationale in and of itself...

Actually I see my CON system much easier to track. IT effects HP and CON relaated saves and skills. Thats it.

Lose a level and pretty mcuh everything could be effected. Lose two or more levels and everythng will be effected. To hit, ALL saves, ALL skills, spells you can cast, you may lose class skills or feats.

CON is a much, much simpler way to go. AS for Energy Drain attacks, I am turning each level lost into 1 CON point lost +1d6 damage per level/CON point lost.

I may change that later, but losing 1d6 CON like 3E has done so often is too extreme.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
CON is a much, much simpler way to go. AS for Energy Drain attacks, I am turning each level lost into 1 CON point lost +1d6 damage per level/CON point lost.

Don't forget about turning their hair gray or white. That should drop their Charisma by -1 also (unless the character looks like Steve Martin or Leslie Nielson;)).

justanobody

Banned
Banned
Nobody commented on my post from page 4, so I thought I'd post the link again.

Free PDF here:
Spell Slot item creation system.pdf

This is the spell slot item creation system. Someone 'round about page 5 suggested using up a number of spell slots based on the item's power. That's how this system works.

That was me. Thanks, I will look that over!

@El Mahdi et all:

:( Can't see it. Media fire is blocked to me.

Can't you make an attachment here at ENWorld of it, or is it too big?

Last edited:

Treebore

First Post
Don't forget about turning their hair gray or white. That should drop their Charisma by -1 also (unless the character looks like Steve Martin or Leslie Nielson;)).

Yeah, I was actually thinking of adding cosmetics like that for aging effects, similar to Ghosts aging the PC.

Dragon Snack

First Post
Gray or white hair is a -1 to CHA? REALLY?

Wow. Just. Wow...
nonono.gif

Actually I see my CON system much easier to track. IT effects HP and CON relaated saves and skills. Thats it.

Lose a level and pretty mcuh everything could be effected. Lose two or more levels and everythng will be effected. To hit, ALL saves, ALL skills, spells you can cast, you may lose class skills or feats.
But CON (and the resultant HP) are FAR too important. I would never see any magic item creation in my games if I imposed a CON penalty for crafting them (and I'll bet 90+% of games would be similar). If that's your goal, great. But why bother teasing the players? Just say no magic item creation and leave it at that.

BTW, you're muddying the waters with level drain. As was already pointed out, you can't lose a level from creating magic items (and you can "save" your XP to craft items instead of leveling, so the "I could craft items before this fight, but now I can't" is a red herring).

Psion

Adventurer

Er, when are you losing levels here?

Remove ads