Do you look at updates before pledging on a Kickstarter?

Do you look at updates before pledging on a Kickstarter?

• Yes

Votes: 22 59.5%
  • No

Votes: 15 40.5%

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's a weird phenomenon, and I've noted this over 20+ Kickstarters. Any time I post an update, I get an immediate pledge drop. Without fail.

I've noticed it enough that when people say "Post an update with a preview or something! It will generate more pledges!" I've always been reluctant, because I know it's predictable enough that the funding total will go down immediately.

And when I think about my own KS backing behaviour, I have never, ever looked at updates on a KS before pledging. If it's not on the front page, I don't see it. So for me, no update has ever gotten me to back a KS.

So to the question -- do updates affect your decision to back a Kickstarter? Not should they (of course they should, they're more info), but do they? Do you check the updates before backing?

Rarely. Most of the time, I look at the campaign description (often also the video if available) and decide if I should back, not back or decide later (i.e. save). Only if the campaign description does not give me enough information, I consider looking at updates.
That being said, I consider an update every couple of days during the campaign a sign for a well-managed campaign (obviously larger campaigns have the advantage that they can post about new stretch goals while smaller ones can mostly share bits an pieces).

BrokenTwin

Biological Disaster
Updates have never drawn me to a Kickstarter, but they have made the difference between me pledging or not. I find in general I can get a better sense of the creator in question from an update than their front page. The latter is usually revised and revised for maximum draw, while the updates tend to show more of the human behind it. That, and updates tend to show a level of engagement as well.

Yes. Unless it's an "instapledge" I look at updates on active kickstarters. I look at it as a preview of the communication style for the project as a whole. Very few updates, and lack of answer to question and I will be leery about backing it. Daily (or more) updates (along with stretch goals) and prompt answering of question in comments will make me feel more like backing a project.

Edit to add - this is part of the reason I tend to avoid 2 week / short kickstarters. Unless I know the company I won't pledge on a shorter kickstarter.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Yes, most of the time. Heck, I even read comments sometimes.

Level Up? Take my money already. I might even sign up for the "Tell me it is live" or whatever......so I can jump on it fast.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I read updates (and often comments as well) as they come out once I'm a backer, but I've never looked at them ahead of time.

Whatever is on that landing page I'll read, so if updates or stretch goals or whatever end up noted there (like with the Blacklist Miniatures campaigns where need stretch goals were added then marked off as they were reached), but I've never gone into the update posts until I'm a backer.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I've backed way too many things, and I do always go into the updates and the comments, to get a sense of what the product actually is going to be (so often, the campaign is lacking in that regard). If I have questions about whether they'll be able to come through with what they promise, I look at updates and especially comments on past projects. (I did this process repeatedly before backing the most recent Broken Compass campaign, for instance.)

I have also dropped after an update, not necessarily because I then said "whoa, this isn't for me," but more because the update reminded me I'd pledged a bunch of money to a product I may no longer be that excited about. I've backed about a half-dozen projects I wish I could take back. Although that's far outweighed by the products that were great successes and I'm happy about, it's always in the back of my mind.

Remove ads