D&D 5E Do you love Awesome Names?

Do you love awesome names?

• Awesome names are awesome.

Votes: 50 56.2%
  • D&D is serious.

Votes: 18 20.2%
  • You lost me at Fonkin Hoddyspeak.

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • I would never vote in a poll that would allow me to vote in it.

Votes: 9 10.1%

SwivSnapshot

First Post
Dang it, now I have to build a rogue named Dashiel something or other next time I'm a player.

Also, my favorite real world name, hand to the gods, is Lethal Salmon. I ran across it in the land records while doing a land title search.

Mallus

Legend
Awesome names are, in fact, awesome. Some the names from our old 4e (now 5e) campaign...

Geppetto Jack Fagin, Heyoka-Jumps-Off-Mountains, Sir Lien Repossessed
Mr. Odanais Dare, Roxy Hurrah, Comrade Pogsley
Vox Candaveris (and Dexter the Hand), Paetros Paranova the Porcophant
Bodrin "Lizzie" Lutzmueller, Artur Rambo
Penelope Pindar, Cristabelle
Captain Artichoke ("Captain" was his first name), Chakram Khan
Sir Yatagan Fracas (Elder of the Church of Treasure, LLC).

edit: for the record, my jokiest joke name -- Joséirus, the Egyptian God of Mexican Wrestling -- hasn't gotten old after almost a decade!

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Others have popped up from my memory:

Jake Lambada: Prancing Bull (Minotaur Barbarian/Bard)
Dreidel (Warforged "dervish" monk)

Last edited:

Mallus

Legend
Dreidel (Warforged "dervish" monk)
That's... wait for it... awesome!

"Dreidel, dreidel, dreidel/They made him out of vengeance!". Hmmm, he could be an Orthodox Modron.

I'm amazed my friend Mike, who played Geppetto Jack (as well as the awesomely-named Atlatl Jones) didn't think of it first.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That's... wait for it... awesome!

"Dreidel, dreidel, dreidel/They made him out of vengeance!". Hmmm, he could be an Orthodox Modron.

I'm amazed my friend Mike, who played Geppetto Jack (as well as the awesomely-named Atlatl Jones) didn't think of it first.
Thanks!
I have never gotten to play him, alas. :(

(And I remember your mentioning of Atlatl Jones in a previous thread- also genius, IMHO.)

As for his actual battle song...

I am the Warforged, Dreidel,
Constructed first to pray,
But when it's time to melee
Then Dreidel gets to play!

I'm Dreidel, Dreidel, Dreidel,
Constructed first to pray,
In battle, battle, battle
My foes shall I all slay!

Last edited:

Corwin

Explorer
I fondly remembered playing a foppish human, rapier-wielding duelist type back in the day. Your typical three musketeer rakish rogue knockoff with a penchant for wine and women. Pretty cliche archetype, I know. But I just used to love when we would meet a new NPC, or what have you, and the inevitable round of introductions would commence. His name wasn't so much "joky" as it was epic in its pomposity. Karlistigan Ignacius Lucien Montenue Artimen Del Gato IV. The roll of eyes, from the other players, knowing I was about to deliver it with such scenery chewing gusto. Again. Or the jokes about them being able to take a bathroom break or get something to eat once it came around to me. Good times. Good times.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
What I really should do is come up with a robot/android/cyborg version of that character for a modern/sci-if setting.

Of course, the acronym "D.R.E.I.D.E.L." would need to have a good meaning behind it...

Demolitions
Recon
Espionage
Intelligence
Drone
Entity,
Landwalking

Ehhhh...needs work.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
This thread almost inspires me to try to create a new character:
RAE DAWN ARGONNE, Neutral Air Genasi Xeno-Netherologist with "Noble" background.

Yeah, except that's not a real playable class, is it?
As Danny said, needs work.

Remove ads