• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you only buy OGC content?

Psion

Adventurer
Well, I'll say this much: I am enough of an OGC fan that it sort of grates on me when somehing that really weaves itself through my campaign is not OGC. It feels somewhat limiting to me that the ability to be as free as I want with my campaign material is at the whim of a publisher.

Not that this is too practical a consideration, since there is a pretty low chance that I'll actually publish my setting or campaign. But I appreciate the idea that the OGC makes me immune to the Rob Repps of the world.

More practically, I like the idea of mechanics that can be expanded and build upon one another. Wish more third party publishers did that, but I like, for example, when OGC creatures appear in OGL adventures or on counter sheets.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
No, I don't limit myself to only OGC. However, I do like OGC, even though I'm neither a writer nor a publisher. The reason I like OGC is if I happen to really enjoy a particular bit of a product, it'd be nice to see it further utilized and, in effect, supported, by other writers and publishers.

tetsujin28

First Post
Since I really have no clue as to what the difference between d20, OGC, and other acronyms is (nor, since I haven't been in the biz for many years, do I feel a need to), I'll have to say, "No", especially since I buy so many things.

danzig138

Explorer
No, I don't buy only OGC. I do tend to avoid products with an unclear declaration. Both because I'm (slowly) trying to break into the writing business and I don't want to violate anything, and because when I see an unclear declaration, it makes it seem like the publisher is being a butthead (although I imagine that's not the case 100% of the time), and I try to avoid financially supporting buttheads.

My players on the other hand, could give a rodent's behind about the OGL, OGC, or any of that and they will happily buy whatever looks cool without concern. :)

Yair

Community Supporter
Lets put it this way: I'm more likely to purchase a product containing no OGC (such as for another system or one by WotC) then to buy one with crippled OGC.
I like being able to legally and in a worry-free manner publish my stuff on my personal homepage. I don't like supporting people who, I feel, abuse rather than use the OGL.
But I *do* buy non-OGC content, it's just that I'm slightly less inclined to purchase it. Slightly.

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
I'll clue you in on something, I couldn't even tell if I owned anything OGC or not. I wouldn't know what to look for on the books or at the game store. I could safely bet I am not in a small minority here.

Dagger75 said:
I'll clue you in on something, I couldn't even tell if I owned anything OGC or not. I wouldn't know what to look for on the books or at the game store. I could safely bet I am not in a small minority here.
Actually, I'd bet you are in the freakin' huge majority. I also bet most folks never really noticed the little d20 logos either. Like 4e discussions, OGC complaints, worries and teeth-gnashing are just so much wasted time.

ThirdWizard

First Post
I only buy 100% OGC books. Nothing on my bookshelf is anything but open. I shall begin going down the list. Players Handbook. Drat, foiled again! I'll get you next time, my pretty! And, your little STL too!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads