• B&W but only because it is cheaper

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Colour but only only in PDF's

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No prefernece

Votes: 5 7.0%

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Generally, I prefer color, but the cost makes b&w more attractive.

Character sketches, though, are much better (IMO) in black and white than color.

praetorian

First Post
I don't think this is as simple a question that a poll can really answere it. For WotC, who have access to lots of great artists, I expect color for all monster books and for most characters and at about half of the other artwork. Black and white is great with emotions, and much easier to draw, so unless needed, I personally don't expect color in smaller manuals, espcecially smaller ones. Basically, use black and white unless you can get really good color and black and white will not do justice to the art.

drnuncheon

Explorer
I definitely have to say, "it depends on the book". For monster books, I'm in favor of color all the way. I can't express how much cooler I think the 3e MM is as compared to the 1e - even for the pictures that I don't like (displacer beast) it's nice to actually have a color picture.

At the other extreme are modules - hell no. At the most, if something desperately needs color, do a 1-page insert, but there's no reason for the whole thing to be color. I don't think anyone's done that though. 8)

In the middle is everything else - but I tend towards the B&W side for that too, if only because it's cheaper.

I'd definitely rather see well done B&W than crappy color! Color alone will not sell me a book. Color used properly, with good art - that might influence my decision.

J

Of course GOOD art is better... but if it is a choice between good color art and good b&w... I would choose color. At b&w prices of course. ;)

Terraism

Explorer
I voted color, but I think people have raised some great points. First of all, Thaumaturge is definitely dead on in saying that it depends on the campaign. The Forgotten Realms CS would be much diminished without the color. However, something like Ravenloft would just look, well... 'odd' if it wasn't black and white. I can see Dark Sun in color, though the Scarred Lands fits the black and white as well. Oddly enough, I can see Greyhawk in color as well. (Odd since most 'old-timers' speak of how much grittier Greyhawk is... ;))

On the flip side, I prefer black and white artwork over color hands down for character sketches, as CRGreathouse mentioned - it just seems nicer. I especially like the 3E concept art sketches... I almost wish, though, that they'd delayed the game a few more months so that now, in the present, I'd have more preview art! :)

Just to end with a question, Frankthedm - what's been wrong with the Dungeon artwork? I've enjoyed it much more now that it's in color.

omedon

First Post
I definitely prefer to see adventures in B&W. I think it just sets the mood better. One thing that I think must always be B&W are dungeons. I think adventures benefit a lot from the stark contrast.

Flipping through Relics & Rituals I realized that many of the pictures in it spurred a lot more interest in me than many of those found in the WOTC core books.

Although I must admit I love the lovely golden chapter introductions of the WOTC core books, I feel that they could have benifited from having a few more B&W pictures.

I think I have to agree with the other posters here. Bad or mediocre B&W art is a lot easier to take than bad or mediocre colour art.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
arcady said:
Even though I chose the first option I expected to be alone in that choice.

You're not alone. I, too, prefer B&W. I don't know why. I can't put my finger on anything in particular beyond "I just like it better," but that's not unusual with art, no is it? ;)

Edit: One thing that I think should always be in black and white are the dungeon/adventure maps. It's so much easier to photocopy and read under dim light than a color map. The new maps in Dungeon can really grate on my nerves when they get to "artistic."

Last edited:

Remove ads