• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you prefer Monster statistics in an adventure's text or at the end

Where do you prefer NPC/Monster stats in a published adventure?

• Near the text where the NPC/Monster is first mentioned

Votes: 145 74.4%
  • In the back of the adventure in an appendix

Votes: 50 25.6%

Arnwyn

First Post
*sigh* No third choice. I can't vote, because my option isn't there.

My answer is: "it depends" (or "both"). If the monster/NPC is found in a set location in the , then in the text is good. If the monster/NPC can be found in many locations, then in an appendix is best.

MM monster statistics should never be included, IMO. Just a reference to the MM is what I'd like in the adventure text (and save precious space for more adventure details).

Davelozzi

Explorer
I didn't read the whole thread but I prefer them in the back so I can just photocopy the relevnt pages and keep them handy as I run battles.

Destan

Citizen of Val Hor
Welp, pogie, I heeded your advice (and the advice of my editor).

Repositioned the statblocks from an appendix to be included with the actual encounters themselves. I'd imagine the publisher will also offer a pdf version for download with all the stats in one handy area, as well.

Salacious D

Kalendraf

Explorer
I would prefer both, but what I really want is a set of tactics for the monster mentioned in the encounter text, along with some reminders about key special abilities that may try to be exploited in the encounter.

I often find that running a new creature with so many options and abilities makes it too easy to overlook a key one and accidentally nerf the encounter by mistake. Just a few quick sentences about a few of the major abilities that will come into play for this encounter would be greatly appreciated.

For the tactics, I don't necessarily want a round-by-round detail version, but rather a list of some sound well thought out tactics the foe might attempt based on what led up to this or what happens during the fight.

Remove ads