D&D 4E Do you really want Greyhawk and Dragonlance for 4e

VGmaster9

Explorer
I certainly know both those settings have very big fanbases, especially GH, but in the end, they're both traditional settings like Forgotten Realms. Like many other people say, GH fans nowadays mainly just play the setting for the nostalgia. In my opinion, the two settings are a bit to similar to FR and think it's good to have the more interesting settings like Eberron and Dark Sun being made instead.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
There are plenty of people who have been playing Greyhawk since 3e came out (thanks to Living Greyhawk) for reasons other than nostalgia. It's a darn good setting that leaves a lot of development room for individual game masters and campaigns.

You may favor something else, but I get pretty tired of the ol' nostalgia dismissal.

Dice4Hire

First Post
The OP can like that the OP likes, but it is not a good start for a discussion.

Personally, I hope the 2012 setting is one with a lot of breadth (not like 2011) and one that is new (Unlike 2010, 2009, 2008)

There is a bit too much tendency to keep going over the old, and I understand why, but 4E is not the older editions, so something new, aimed a bit more at 4E's differences from the old, would be nice.

keterys

First Post
To be honest, Greyhawk and Dragonlance would probably make reasonable Dragon articles or off-snippets in other books - I don't feel any need for a new book for them.

But I could have said the same for Eberron, so clearly there are other people who would care more. If they'll make money from it, whatever, go ahead.

At least Dark Sun added a new and interesting mechanic (themes).

Rechan

Adventurer
I think that they generally have no new territory. There was a reason that WotC bombed the Realms: because otherwise there was nothing new about it. Dark Sun got changes too, but I think it wasn't that drastic because Dark Sun didn't get any 3e attention, reprinting it would create Buzz (since it's so unique), and because they had hardcore fans among the designers.

If they did Greyhawk or Dragonlance, they would also make changes to create buzz. And those changes would upset the fans.

malraux

First Post
With infinite budgets, sure I'd like it. Coming into dnd in 3e as I did, a lot of stuff like dragonlance or greyhawk never had a good intro book. At least not a wotc one. So a republishing of an intro book would be cool. That said, those settings to me feel kinda dated in conception and thus not as appealing to modern audiences. So moving toward something new would be better than redoing the old.

Of course, releasing the old stuff on PDF again would work.

Edit: and when I mean it wasn't available, I mean it was as obviously available to someone who was just getting started. I know in retrospect that MWP was keeping DL going, for example.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Greyhawk I think should just be left alone. Let the grognards protect their precious in the dark dismal depths.

Dragonlance could make an awesome new setting book but then again, it could be extremely sucky as well. A lot of the content after the original 1e books really, really, really sucked. I think they turned it into some sort of card game or something? If they went back to basics and took what was so great about the Dragonlance setting in the first place and ran with that, then it could be a really nice 4e setting book. But the likelihood is that they'll continue on from the most recent lore and in that instance, I have no interest in it.

Obryn

Hero
I love Greyhawk; it's still one of my favorite settings.

However, I don't feel like I need any new mechanics to run it in 4e. Much like with the grey box Realms, the mechanics are very core, and any differences are fluff-only.

I'd probably buy a setting book for it, but I don't know that I'd get anything out of it.

-O

ki11erDM

Explorer
Dragonlance will be done as a board/war game of some kind.

WoTC wants to push new mechanics, so if they did Greyhawk there would be “something” new about it. It needs a shtick… if it doesn’t have one they would just be reprinting old books. Maybe that would be how they would introduce the ‘complexity dials’?
What else could they introduce?

GreyLord

Legend
Sure, why not?

Dragonlance could be great fun, then again, you already have dragons and draconians and their stats in various books. You have a basic layout of knights, wizards, and Clerics...you could probably play Dragonlance now if you wanted to with what you have in 4e.

For a more formal book, what would you want that has not been given out already. the Dragonlance Campaign setting and other books has not been out of print that long (albeit it was for 3.X) and had most of the fluff that you could want. What would you like to see if a Dragonlance Campaign came out for updates. Would you want a rollback, or nuke the world again?

Remove ads