Do you remember your first RPG purchase?

Tantavalist

Explorer
I suspect that my first purchase with my own money was probably the first Book of Dragon Warriors in 1985.

I'd been into the Fighting Fantasy series ever since the Warlock of Firetop Mountain (I was eight when I got it). I'd initially thought that Dragon Warriors was another such book series when I bought it at age 11. A few months later I got WFRP 1e as a christmas present.

I was well into my teens before I even saw a copy of D&D and was actually less than impressed to the point of thinking it overhyped...

Committed Hero

Adventurer
My brothers and I bought dad the Holmes box set but ended up using it more often than he did. For myself, it was either Dungeon Geomorphs or a Runequest adventure that confused the hell out of me.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
1e AD&D Players Handbook. I bought it at WaldenBooks at the closest mall to home. Then I got the keys to the car from my mother and just sat out in the parking lot reading it (and avoiding the rest of the shopping).

I think the first thing I purchased (besides a few random miniatures) was the Elmore D&D Basic Red Box. I remember saving my paper route money and getting a lift to the downtown mall to pick it up.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
2e AD&D Player's Handbook, bought from the Waldenbooks in the mall in 1990. Although it was Pool of Radiance that got me interested in D&D.

GuyBoy

Hero
I’d got the White Box for Xmas, so not really a purchase.
A bit later, with birthday and paper round money, I went to the original Games Workshop in Shepherds Bush Road and bought Greyhawk and Blackmoor supplements.
It was them or a new pair of rugby boots, which sounds like a tough decision, but I sneakily knew that my stepdad liked rugby and would get me the boots anyway!

MGibster

Legend
Memory is a funny thing. When I started typing this the first game I could remember buying was GURPS Ice Age. But Ice Age came out in 1992 and I had purchased AD&D 2nd edition no later than 1990. It gets even worse because I also remember purchasing Vampire the Masquerade when it first game out in 1991 which was earlier than Ice Age's release. Don't get old, kids.

Remove ads