D&D 5E Do you restrict racial choices in your games?

Do you typically restrict racial choices in your games?

• No, anything published is fair game

Votes: 35 20.0%
  • Yes, PHB races only

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Yes, PHB+1 rules apply

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Yes, each campaign or setting has its own pallette of PC races available

Votes: 132 75.4%

J-H

Hero
With the continued discussions around the optional (maybe not so optional) rules from Tasha's, and the number of different races available in published materials, I thought this might shed some light on how relevant these discussions even are to actual tabletop play.

If you aren't a DM, vote for whatever your DM usually does.

Stormonu

Legend
I encourage my players to pick campaign-specific races, but if they come to me with an interesting character - regardless of race or class, I'll usually allow it. In the cases it was disallowed, it was generally a power issue (someone's absurdly homebrewed/badly balanced 3rd party concoction) - though I have disallowed a couple because the flavor was too far in left field for the campaign.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I've learned to just leave the door wide open to whatever the players want - but then we pretty much always play in default D&Dish settings, where there's lots of races and magical races and artificial races and...

Basically, I want the players to be happy, to get their jollies, to vent their weekly frustrations with an outlandish character, etc.

delericho

Legend
Yeah, I restrict them.

The exact set will depend on the campaign - my default is "anything from the PHB" or, if using a published setting "anything from the PHB or the setting book". That said, some settings feel better with more races - for something like Spelljammer I'll open the selection right up.

As regards player selection, my preference is that they either come to the table with a clear notion that they want to play a particular race, or if they don't have a strong preference then to default to human. I'm not keen on watching players spend a long time on that choice or, worse, deciding on which to use purely based on the ability score increases. (That said, that's very much a preference. It's more important to me that the player gets a character they're happy with than my notions about the "right" way to do anything.)

delericho

Legend
Oh, yes, one other thing: I really like the Custom Lineage in "Tasha's Cauldron" (one of the very few highlights of that book, IMO), so I'm now really quite happy about players coming up with some unique race.

Li Shenron

Legend
If I run a setting-specific or strongly thematic game then yes, the choice of race is restricted, and the choice of class or background might be too. The purpose IS to be restricted.

If I run a vanilla game of D&D, anything goes, but that doesn't necessarily mean mechanically. I might just give anyone default human stats.

Remove ads