• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you roll for treasure?

Do you roll for trasure?

• Yes, the randomness is really fun!

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • No way am I randomly letting a portable hole into my campaign!

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • I will not be held down by your binary options! I do something completely different!

Votes: 13 39.4%

BronzeDragon

Explorer
I stopped rolling treasure about 20 years ago. I found that it was eliminating part of my fun as a DM in the preparation phase of the game.

Things such as figuring out exactly how rich or poor this particular bandit group was, turned out to be fun in themselves.

Of course, it also prevents ridiculous things from happening due to badly designed loot tables (tables that allow very powerful items to appear in the level 3 hoard "because you rolled 20 three times in a row").

Jhaelen

First Post
Typically, when preapring an adventure for D&D, I first decide what kinds of treasure I want there to be, e.g. two magic weapons, four potions, a piece of jewelry, etc.
Then I roll on the tables to determine the specifics, re-rolling some of the results if they aren't a good fit.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
I might change things. I rolled a flametongue sword, but since the big bad holding it was a kobold dragonshield, I changed it to a spear. And I have been placing a lot of potions of healing because the party doesn't have a healer.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
I do both. I like to use a random treasure generator when I have a large hoard to fill out, but I will often place specific treasure when needed. If I have specific props, I obviously tailor magic items, and sometimes I know my players won't have time to make/buy their own, so I put something more suited to them in found treasure.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
I usually place treasure for plot-important planned encounters (or if I want them to have particular items). I'll roll for inconsequential stuff like mounds of coins and gems and encounters I wasn't expecting them to have.

DragonMan

First Post
It's a simple question, really. Do you roll for a treasure? Or do you hand-pick what you put in your dungeons (etc.)?

I mostly create the treasure to fit the monster that was guarding it. A monster that doesn't have backpacks or pockets would not have a pile of coins on its' corpse. I also use specific treasure to advance a new adventure.

I roll for most of the treasure later on in the game. tho for my last campain i wanted them to get some usefull items pretty fast (like some healing potions, bag of holding, Berserker Axe (for the one that kept whining about wanting magic weapons))

Remove ads