Do You Sometimes Purchase RPG Books Just To Read (Not For Play Purposes)?

Do You Sometimes Purchase RPG Books Just To Read (Not For Play Purposes)?

• Yes

Votes: 322 87.3%
  • No

Votes: 47 12.7%

I voted yes but the subject material really has to interest me. Some books I buy with the intention of them being used in play but it just never happens.

Olaf the Stout

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Yep, fluff books.

Warhammer stuff is good for this, lots of world information can be found in the Battle Army Books, just high cost and 1/3rd usable.

Another example is the old D&D Gazetteers, I mean the old ones, that went into detail on a different kingdom, rules light, lots of interesting detail but all based around the world.

Other examples: Call of Cthulhu is always a good read.

pawsplay

Hero
I use approximately 60% of my books in actual play sometime in my term of ownership. The rest are "just in case," for research, for inspiration, or just for a good read.

glass

(he, him)
Pretty much my entire collection. I haven't had a regular gaming group for years, so most of my RPG purchases are for pure reading fun.
This was me for a while a few years back. Oddly (or perhaps not) I bought a lot more gaming stuff when I wasn't playing than at any other time!

glass.

Yaztromo

Explorer
Occasionally I purchased some RPG book and never found a practical chance to play it, but the original intent was always to play.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
If I find a book with really cool ideas / theme in it, I will buy it for use as a sourcebook later - even if it has game mechanics included.
It might get used in any other game where I am looking for descriptive material, or to 'set mood'.

I also do the opposite: I will borrow a book from the library, copy out the pages with useful (I think / hope) stuff, and never buy the book.
... gotta keep up my reputation as a cheapskate somehow ...

Remove ads