D&D 5E Do you still roll a saving throw if you are immune to what you are saving against?

ECMO3

Hero
I would count immunity as automatically succeeding on the save. It strikes me as silly, and un-fun, for a player to be punished because they are better-defended against a problem.
If she "succeeds" without rolling, this would mean she can turn frightened back on any enemy that tried to use it on her.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
If she "succeeds" without rolling, this would mean she can turn frightened back on any enemy that tried to use it on her.
Which seems perfectly appropriate to me. It's both a very drama-appropriate action and a very natural emotional reaction: your power to crush the courage and willpower of others simply fails to do anything at all, and the would-be victim says, "Nice try. How about a taste of your own medicine?" (Or something equivalent.) I support this wholeheartedly.

And this would naturally lead to people who know her reputation not using fear on her. Easy fix for opponents who aren't immune to their own tricks!

Well I rarely call for saves the players know they can make so most of the time dice are hitting the table but if the only factor is conditionally null then I'd let's the player decide due to some features are based on passing saves like fey and monster rangers

jasper

Rotten DM
A question came up in play yesterday. Undead Warlock-Fey Wanderer Ranger in form of dread is immune to frightened condition.

Does she still make a save if targeted with something that causes frightened (dragon fear in this case) even though she is immune.

The reason this matters is beguiling twist - if she (or anyone) makes a save against frightened or charmed, she can use her reaction to target someone else with one of those conditions. So even though she is immune, the player wants to roll the save because if it is a success he can target someone (in this case the Dragon) with beguiling twist.

The question essentially is does she still get to throw the dice ?
Yes. In this case, she has a special ability which requires a save to activate. And why people suggest it an auto succeed, i disagree. She is NOT frighten by her magical thingy is only activated is the D20 Test gawds say the saving was made and the twist is activated.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Yes. In this case, she has a special ability which requires a save to activate. And why people suggest it an auto succeed, i disagree. She is NOT frighten by her magical thingy is only activated is the D20 Test gawds say the saving was made and the twist is activated.
Care to share your reasoning? What, in your mind, is happening in the fiction?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Seems reasonable to me.
The alternative is to give her a save despite her immunity. If she succeeds, she can divert it. If she fails the save, she’s still immune, she just can’t activate the power off it. That option preserves both the probabilistic nature of the power while not allowing immunity to be worse for her and he powers than being not immune.

jasper

Rotten DM
Care to share your reasoning? What, in your mind, is happening in the fiction?
The person is immune to frighten condition. But the special ability of "reflecting" is affected by and caused by the WEAVE. The Weave is random. The Weave loves D20 tests.
Or it is a bad worded ability.

ECMO3

Hero
The person is immune to frighten condition. But the special ability of "reflecting" is affected by and caused by the WEAVE. The Weave is random. The Weave loves D20 tests.
Or it is a bad worded ability.
Does the Weave exist around the Feywild? I know the shadowfell has its own thing called the shadowweave.

Voadam

Legend
Where is beguiling twist from? And the thing that makes them immune? The wording on these might inform the narrative logic of the situation.

My gut is to have them roll a save, failure means they are still immune, they just don't twist it back on the dragon.

Remove ads