D&D 5E Do you use all of the P.C. races and classes from the PHB?

Do you use all of the races and classes from the PHB?

• Purist here. Only races and classes that have long been part of the game.

Votes: 15 13.0%
  • I am cool with the newer classes but allow the newer/uncommon races like tieflings or dragonborn.

Votes: 18 15.7%
  • It's just a game, anything goes.

Votes: 66 57.4%
  • Do not try to constrain me. I will explain in a comment below.

Votes: 16 13.9%

Xeviat

Hero
I do, in some fashion. If someone wants to play a race I haven't considered before for the setting, I can work it in. The players are the target audience, after all.

For instance, my dragonborn are fire only and are a kind of lizard/snake person. The elves are all different kinds of half-elves, because elves are spirit beings. Gnomes are tweaked and are child elves. Half-orcs are half-ogres instead because I don't really have orcs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sunrisekid

Explorer
I try to keep things consistent with campaign narratives. Currently, as house ruled, we permit only 1 instance of a "monster" race (drow, d.b., etc) to maintain the vintage/vanilla representation of fantasy races. We are tinkering with how gods are represented and currently there are no clerics permitted, for story reasons, but that will likely change at some point in the future.

S'mon

Legend
I allow all the PHB races & classes in the 5e settings I am currently running (Wilderlands & Golarion). I allow all the 4e ones in my game (set in default 4e World). I can imagine not allowing eg Dragonborn in a 5e Primeval Thule game.

Geeknamese

Explorer
I allow everything in my games. If you can explain to me how your character fits in, I'll work with it. It can be WotC published material, UAs, DMs Guild, Reddit or Pinterest homebrew...whatever, as long as it's balanced, makes sense and the player is earnestly excited about playing it. I can work with anything and the goal is for everyone to be invested, immersed and having fun.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I'm setting up a new campaign setting at the moment and have made room for all of the PHB races as well as Goliath, Genasi, and Aasimar. Classes are all in there and if anyone wants to play one, the mystic is also available. I'm going to make the magus class found on the DMs guild available as well. It's actually been fun locating all of the races and classes in the world. For classes, some are found everywhere, but for others, you can add them into the world building.

As an example, I have monks with certain subclasses set up at different monasteries. The elemental monks only monastery is down on an island in the south; open hand monks have monasteries in multiple places and are quite common; and no one knows quite where the shadow-monks come from but speak of them in whispers. Of course, some players that play monks may not want to come from some island monastery so I have travelling masters roaming the country training students who show promise as well.

For races in my new setting. The 3 races of elves live together on (and in, in the case of the dark elves) a plateau that they have turned into a forested paradise. Dwarves have their typical dwarven vault in the mountains to the north. Gnomes are found either with the elves or with the dwarves depending on the subclass: Forest gnomes with elves, rock gnomes with dwarves.

I'm definitely having fun setting it up, I hope my players enjoy it.

Zardnaar

Legend
At the moment I do but I am working on something a bit more restrictive. Entire classes are gone, most races and bringing back some alignment restrictions.

Remove ads