D&D 5E Do you use passive insight?

Brandegoris

First Post
Twice this week this has come up. Once in a discussion on this board, and once in a discussion with one of my players.

Do you use passive insight in your game? I don't, and I'll give my reasons below, but I am genuinely curious to hear other opinions and arguments for and against. I was fairly surprised that it seems a good number of people believe have come to expect passive insight as a rule.

For sake of starting the discussion, here are the reasons why I don't use passive insight:

Passive checks essentially set a baseline number for your ability checks that is at least average. That means, that a complete failure is impossible. So I avoid passive checks if at all possible, because I believe sometimes you should roll a 1 and bungle an ability check. My one exception to passive checks is perception, because perception is something that is always turned on to some degree while awake, and I've found you can run it to great effect in a game. There is a good amount of control and affecting conditions, such as low light and obscuration, that can place a -5 modifier on perception. This means that even a character with high perception might miss things if the conditions work against him/her.

And of course, passive perception helps reduce the temptation of your players to feel like they have to actively check every single nook and cranny of every room. They know that even if then don't actively check, they are at least somewhat covered by passive perception. It also helps with sneaking situations where the players are sneaking around lackadaisical guards who just have their passive perception scores to rely on, and vice versa.

But passive insight presents a host of problems for me. It sets that baseline number which a character can't roll below, of course. And that presents role-playing and story-telling problems. If a character has a high passive insight, then is the DM supposed to reveal all the plot secrets, and say things like: "Edgar the merchant comes to you and tells you that his daughter has been kidnapped, but Bob, your character has a high passive insight, so you think he might be lying to you." With a passive insight, it creates a situation where some players just know all the easy secrets and answers automatically. It prevents the ability of the DM to create mysteries, or problems that the PCs have to solve or work through if one character always has a good hunch about what's going on. And when "Bob" gets told that his character has a hunch about something, all the other players know that's correct information, which makes it difficult to play their characters as though they came to other conclusions.

Sometimes a PC's hunch is just way off, and I prefer to have them roll an insight checks whenever they want, where they might roll low. This is also one of the few rolls I will make behind the screen, so that when one or multiple characters ask to know if an NPC is trustworthy or lying, different characters may get told different things depending on their secret roll, and they simply must role-play their character based on the hunch they each get, because they don't really know how the roll went. It causes the group to perhaps rely on the one character who is very wise (has a high insight modifier) and is often able to suss out a situation correctly. But sometimes even that player gets things wrong.

So those are my reasons. Any other opinions on this?

I use passive insight. My reason is this:
The Characters have certain ability scores and in a lot of cases they may have a score that is Higher than the actual real life player has, so I have to represent that?
I hope that made sense?

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I do really like @iserith's approach of declared repetitive action is tied to the passive scores. One question I have though is what about passive stealth? For example the party might be creeping through a dungeon (and wanting to move stealthily - so they all declare "I'm moving stealthily" :) ) but then another (say the rogue) says "I'm keeping an eye out for traps" - passive perception. But as they've already declared that they're being stealthy how can they do both (in game mechanics) but in real-life that seems perfectly reasonable.

So I guess I would say that you can do one "physical thing" passively and one "mental thing" passively.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I do really like @iserith's approach of declared repetitive action is tied to the passive scores. One question I have though is what about passive stealth? For example the party might be creeping through a dungeon (and wanting to move stealthily - so they all declare "I'm moving stealthily" :) ) but then another (say the rogue) says "I'm keeping an eye out for traps" - passive perception. But as they've already declared that they're being stealthy how can they do both (in game mechanics) but in real-life that seems perfectly reasonable.

So I guess I would say that you can do one "physical thing" passively and one "mental thing" passively.

Thoughts?

Being stealthy is more a factor of pace than tasks in my view. The trade-off is a slow pace which, depending on how you set up your adventure, could make it harder to achieve your goals on time or increases the frequency of random encounter checks. I call for a check from the PCs when it's time to determine if the monsters are surprised per the rules.

I do use passive Stealth in my games on the monster side, if they're lying in wait. I did that in my last session, actually. In two combat challenges, the enemies were trying to ambush. The first group had a passive Stealth of 11, resulting in only one PC being surprised. In the second group, they had the benefit of pass without trace due to a druid in their ranks, so the passive Stealth was 21 and all the PCs were surprised.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Being stealthy is more a factor of pace than tasks in my view. The trade-off is a slow pace which, depending on how you set up your adventure, could make it harder to achieve your goals on time or increases the frequency of random encounter checks. I call for a check from the PCs when it's time to determine if the monsters are surprised per the rules.

I do use passive Stealth in my games on the monster side, if they're lying in wait. I did that in my last session, actually. In two combat challenges, the enemies were trying to ambush. The first group had a passive Stealth of 11, resulting in only one PC being surprised. In the second group, they had the benefit of pass without trace due to a druid in their ranks, so the passive Stealth was 21 and all the PCs were surprised.

That seems cool. I still kind of like my idea too, though... It's a common trope in social interactions to have the protagonists dancing but also keeping an eye on the crowd/other dancers. So passive "dancing" + passive "insight" but, of course, if it's a dance the PC doesn't know then they'd have to focus their attention on the steps/moves so no insights for them :)

MiraMels

Explorer
Yeah. i use passive scores for every skill in the game, including insight, in various situations. It's incredibly useful for guiding my own fiats as a DM, and when you use advantage, disadvantage, and opposed active checks there's plenty of variety.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
That seems cool. I still kind of like my idea too, though... It's a common trope in social interactions to have the protagonists dancing but also keeping an eye on the crowd/other dancers. So passive "dancing" + passive "insight" but, of course, if it's a dance the PC doesn't know then they'd have to focus their attention on the steps/moves so no insights for them :)

Yep, multiple tasks can be undertaken of course - they just can't be distracting from the attempt to glean insight. Best to go with a simple slow dance instead of a tango.

pukunui

Legend
I mainly use passive Insight as a defense against NPCs' Deception rolls. I only use it to give clues, though, not answers.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Pretty much the only time I roll an ability check for a monster/NPC is for grappling or shoving or Stealth to determine surprise. Opposed checks are very rare because the circumstances that would call for an opposed check don't come up much. I just set DCs for the PCs' checks, usually at 10 + relevant ability (skill) bonus, which is effectively the monster/NPC's passive score.

Honestly, it depends on the roll.
If the Deception roll is terrible, then I might rule it's a thing. That they can tell someone is lying without having to roll or even ask to roll. They just know. But unless it's so low that I don't need to do the math, I assume the lie is adequate enough that it passes.

Really, Insight is best for confirming what the players already suspect. I'm not going to tell the players they believe a lie because someone rolled well. My die rolls don't change how their character acts.

BoldItalic

First Post
Passive scores make sense when they are used as a DC for someone to roll against. The archetypical example is rolling Stealth against passive perception.

But it doesn't make sense for a DM to compare a PC's passive score to a fixed DC that he himself chooses, as a way of deciding anything. You could have done that before the game session even started. If it makes the narrative more interesting for the innkeeper to lie to the adventurer, go with it and just say so. "The innkeeper tells you that there are no bandits on the north road, but he is obviously lying". There's no need to justify your narrative choice with pseudo-mathematical numbers; there's no need to say to yourself "12 is greater than 10 so I'm going to tell the player that the innkeeper is lying".

Of course, if you are randomizing a pre-written scenario and you want to decide by rolling dice whether or not the innkeeper is lying this time through, then that's fair enough; but the probability you assign to the truthfulness of innkeepers has nothing to do with the passive insight of the PCs.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases