• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you use psionics?

Do you use psionics?

• Yes, I do.

Votes: 118 57.8%
  • No, it has too much of a sci-fi feel.

Votes: 21 10.3%
  • No, I am not forking over another $30 for the book.

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • No, I just don't like it.

Votes: 36 17.6%
  • Other, post below.

Votes: 24 11.8%

Jeph

Explorer
Psions are Soooooooo much better at stopping time then Wizards will ever be . . . 3d4 rounds to summon Astral Construct 9s, toss them each a pair of Boots of Speed, and let er' rip!

I recently did the calculation for a Psion doing this without the Boots of Speed, and it's over 850 damage in round 1 when done right.

So if you ever tell me that "Psionics are week," I'll tell you to take a look at the PsyWar entries in Sultans of Smack. :D

-Jeph

Jeph

Explorer
Oh, and when you have a Contingency set to re-manifest Temporal Velocity when the first one ends, it gets EVEN BETTER.

psionics

3E psionics disgust me and I do not use them. I wont stop a player from using them, but they'll be treated like a red headed step child.

I would and have used Ken Hood's skills and feats system however.

Silverthrone

Banned
Banned
So if you ever tell me that "Psionics are week," I'll tell you to take a look at the PsyWar entries in Sultans of Smack.

And I'll tell you to check out what psionic could do in 2e. ;)

mkletch

First Post
I use it primarily as a DM, for new/different monsters, non-magical traps (I use the psionics is different option), some magic items/artifacts, etc. We don;t us it in any of our campaigns for players.

-Fletch!

roytheodd

First Post
I used psionics in 1st Ed. because it was so limited, but now that there's no limit to the number of psions you can make I think it stinks. It has too much of a sci-fi feel for fantasy and I think if it is to be included it should remain limited.

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
Roy, I recommend you read Katherine Kurtz' Deryni series of books. Then pick up the old Dragon issue that had the 1E Psionicist in it.

Bendris Noulg

First Post
Dinkledog: That was issue 96.;)

I voted Other...

I use PsyWarriors, calling them Mystics. Flavor wise, they are retainers of lore from the ancient Empire, which was more or less a fascist state ruled over by a psi-talented military. Over the millenia since the Fall of Empire, this lore has merged into the current Mystic orders.

I don't use Psions, although I am working on a few PClasses based on the Psion as a model, for those that take the mental-aspects further than the norm.

In all cases, these use "Psionics=Magic", determining that the practicioners of Mysticism are using mental energy to cause Arcane effects.

Beyond this, I use a Feat/Skill/Feat add-on system for a "Core" Class called Shapers ("Shapers of the Will"), which holds true to much of the flavor of 2E Psionics ("fantastical science", so to speak).

Last edited:

s/LaSH

First Post
There are psionic creatures in my campaign, but I'm too cheap to buy the book. I just use standard spell effects.

Anyway, I'm developing my own homebrew system to deal with this sort of thing. It's a 'spell point' system, but instead of specific spells you tailor your own effects on the fly. I base it on a system I developed years ago, but simplifying it to use a d20 (and the associated numbers) is a bit of a challenge. It's designed for a scifi setting I'm working on.

I'd agree that psi does have a scifi flavour if the terminology is kept (simply renaming it magery would go a long way to fantasising it). But that's touching on Big Secrets of my campaign, so I won't continue.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads