Doctor Who: Jodie Whitaker’s last episode [spoilers]

jeffh

Adventurer
Not an era I'll miss, and as usual for Chibnall era Doctor Who, they tried to cram too much into the script and the emotional beats mostly felt unearned. In this case, mostly because they were so self-referential, depending entirely on being engaged with Doctor Who lore.

Still, this had moments. The Rasputin scene was almost enough to make it worth it, Tegan and Ace worked pretty well (fewer missed opportunities than I'd have guessed, or than have been typical of companion re-introductions by writers under showrunners not named Russel T Davies, though it's downright misleading about the circumstances of Tegan's original departure). On a similar note, what I'll call "Companions Anonymous" at the end was a nice touch. Silliest Dalek scheme since The Dalek Invasion of Earth, to which it pays obvious tribute, but that actually gave it a certain charm.

3.5/5. Looking forward to having Davies back; though I have mixed feelings about his era, it was much better than Chibnall's.

Last edited:

jeffh

Adventurer
As someone who only saw the first Whittaker season and doesn't like what I've heard about some of the metaplot since then (Timeless Child), what are the essential episodes to catch up?
It's kind of a rummage sale of a script and doesn't make that much more sense with than without a knowledge of the lore. But I guess Fugitive of the Judoon and the last three episodes of Whitaker's second season (so season 12, episodes 5, 8, 9, and 10), and enough of Flux to have a rough idea who Vinder is would help. It doesn't really follow up the Timeless Child stuff directly, but it does continue other plot threads from the same episodes in which it was introduced (i.e. that will at least explain WTH is going on with the Cybermen).

It would also help a little to be able to recognize various pre-Chibnall Doctors, companions, and supporting characters, mostly from late in the original series.

Last edited:

jeffh

Adventurer
It's interesting that Tennant appeared in a suit and tie, not in Whitaker's costume. Usually, the clothes don't regenerate!

I think that's a clue that something is awry here. Something fishy is going on!
No question in my mind. I expect that to be a major plot element in his specials, or certainly in at least one of them.

jeffh

Adventurer
How do you regenerate into a previous regeneration
Whatever other problems this era may have, I don't think this contradicts anything in the established lore. (Not that that's been a high priority for any DW production team, outside maybe seasons 20-22 or so of the original series.) In fact, we've seen a previous instance of it, and it even involved Tenant's Doctor.

That said, see the post above as well. I expect this to be addressed, even though it does not, in the strictest sense, need to be. The clothes regenerating bother me much more; that definitely isn't usual.

Last edited:

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Usually, the clothes don't regenerate!
The clothes regenerating bother me much more; that definitely isn't usual.
It is definitely an intentional choice, as the earlier regeneration and degeneration scenes show the clothes unchanged on the Doctor and the Master. They even call it out in the latter as the Doctor says "What am I wearing?" as she looks over the Master's sartorial choices. To be fair, they appear to be a hodgepodge from her earlier incarnations, so she only has herself to blame! :LOL:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It is definitely an intentional choice, as the earlier regeneration and degeneration scenes show the clothes unchanged on the Doctor and the Master. They even call it out in the latter as the Doctor says "What am I wearing?" as she looks over the Master's sartorial choices. To be fair, they appear to be a hodgepodge from her earlier incarnations, so she only has herself to blame! :LOL:
No, he went into the TARDIS and got changed, didn’t he?

Remove ads