D&D General Does a multiclassed fighter still get the Action Surge Boost at level 17?

MadOne

First Post
Nowhere in the rules as written is this question addressed. There are special rules for things like extra attack, and rules that specifically state "class level" obviously speak for themselves, but Action Surge just says "At second level" and "At seventeenth level," which suggests that taking two levels in fighter and then hitting level 17 still grants an additional action surge. Can anyone clarify or confirm this for me?

Clint_L

Hero
Specifically, the Player's Handbook states:

When you gain a new level in a class, you get its features for that level. You don’t, however, receive the class’s starting equipment, and a few features have additional rules when you’re multiclassing: Channel Divinity, Extra Attack, Unarmored Defense, and Spellcasting.

So you don't get the fighter features for level 17 unless you hit level 17 as a fighter. Note that fighter also clarifies extra attack by adding the words "in this class" to the third attack at level 11 and the fourth at level 20.

Greenwheat

Explorer
So you don't get the fighter features for level 17 unless you hit level 17 as a fighter. Note that fighter also clarifies extra attack by adding the words "in this class" to the third attack at level 11 and the fourth at level 20.
This is correct... but feels really weird when compared to casters. At least looking at Extra Attack (and analogous features for other classes) when compared to cantrips. Not only does the fourth cantrip damage die come on at 17th, and the Fighter's fourth attack not until 20th, but also the cantrip scales across all classes.

If I build a Sorcerer 10/Warlock 7 character, I'm 17th level for the purposes of cantrip damage, and I get to make four attacks. If I build a Fighter 10/Paladin 7, I get... two attacks. Granted with smites on top, but I'm smiting as a 7th-level Paladin.

I'm curious how badly it'd break things to swap the fourth attack to 17th, and the second Action Surge to 20th levels. And really, I'm not sure that allowing the Fighter version of Extra Attack to scale on total class level is so terrible. You'd need to go five levels into Fighter for it after all, which is a substantial investment in most campaigns. It'd also free up some design space for Fighters to do something a bit more impressive at 11th and 17th level than just keep pace with something that most casters get as a backup option.

jgsugden

Legend
This is correct... but feels really weird when compared to casters. At least looking at Extra Attack (and analogous features for other classes) when compared to cantrips. Not only does the fourth cantrip damage die come on at 17th, and the Fighter's fourth attack not until 20th, but also the cantrip scales across all classes...
A cantrip die and an attack have superficial similarities ("I get to roll an extra damage die!"), but they are very different.

A cantrip dealing 4d8 + a little bit is going to do about 20 to 25 damage. However, a Great Weapon Master PC can often do more than 25 damage in one strike, and if you make that PC something like a paladin that can Semi-Nova on each attack....

The design was intentional and well thought out. I've seen players enjoy each class at low, medium and high levels when run optimized - and also when run just efficient.

Clint_L

Hero
A cantrip die and an attack have superficial similarities ("I get to roll an extra damage die!"), but they are very different.

A cantrip dealing 4d8 + a little bit is going to do about 20 to 25 damage. However, a Great Weapon Master PC can often do more than 25 damage in one strike, and if you make that PC something like a paladin that can Semi-Nova on each attack....

The design was intentional and well thought out. I've seen players enjoy each class at low, medium and high levels when run optimized - and also when run just efficient.
Absolutely...but then hexadins come along and blow that balance up.

Remove ads