D&D 5E Does anybody else wish that WOTC would release paper pawns, similar to Paizo?

Bupp

Adventurer
A bit of a tangent but still related. I have a lot of pawn but never use them because I can't organize them efficiently, any tips?

Check out an arts and crafts store or department. You'll find several different plastic boxes with small compartments that are meant for beads or some other crafting thing.

DND_Chris

First Post
I wish they would come out with pawns. I am a new DM and RPG player and I actually purchased the Pathfinder pawns because WotC had no equivalent. I imagine that depending on how popular 5th Ed becomes they may reevaluate what the potential market is for these types of accessories.

I think TotM is fine but I am a long time board gamer and I prefer visual representation of some kind. I am sure there is a substantial number of others that share this view.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Hello all,

I am new to RPGs and have started playing in a bi-weekly Pathfinder game, and have been elected by my friends to DM a D&D 5E game.

In preparation for playing Pathfinder for the first time, I decided to buy their beginner box a little while ago. All I can say is WOW! It's very impressive, to say the least. :cool:

Admittedly, I really, really like the paper pawns that Paizo produces for PF, as it allows you to get the same gaming experience as playing with minis without having to sink a bunch of money into random booster boxes to HOPE that you can someday complete your collection.

I am not sure how necessary these will be for running 5E, but dang it, they certainly are cool/nice to have IMO.

I would like to see WOTC do a set of these to cover all the monsters in the Monster Manual, as well as all of the monsters that are in the adventures & modules they release.

Additionally, I would like to see a "Hero pack" or whatever, to cover the various race & class combos that your players could use. Of course they would not be able to cover everything, due to multi-classing, but they could do 1 of each race for every class available (in the physical PHB), and make male & female versions of them. Doing that, you could get "close enough" to represent nearly anything your players wanted to play.

Essentially, kind of follow the model that Paizo is doing with Pathfinder. I like it, and think it would work well for WOTC as well.

Pro's: Much lower cost than minis, no need to buy random booster packs, the ability to know you will have what you need on hand, easy to transport, readily available, etc.

Cons: Not as durable as regular minis, no real collector value

IMO, the Pros definitely outweigh the cons.

Anybody else wish WOTC would do this for D&D? Thoughts?

You might like the 4e Monster Vault (and I suspect you can get it pretty cheap these days). Ignore the books that come with it - it comes with a metric crapton of monster tokens. Here is the list:

Sheet #1
Large: Angel of Battle, Angel of Vengeance, Basilisk, Beholder, Black Dragon (young), Black Pudding.
Small / Medium: Abyssal Eviscerator (really!), Air Elemental (lesser) (2), Ambush Drake (2), Angel of Valor (veteran) (2), Angel of Protection, Babau, Beholder Gauth, Bloodseeker Drake, Bugbear (3), Bulette (young) (2), Cave Spider (4), Chain Devil, Crocodile (2), Death Knight, Deathjump Spider, Doppleganger (2), Dragonborn Mercenary, Dragonborn Soldier, minion (4).

Sheet #2
Large: Blue Dragon (young), Bulette, Carrion Crawler, Cyclops (4!), Hydra.
Small / Medium: Dretch Lackey (4) (not a typo!), Drow (female) (2), Drow (make) (2), Dryad (4), Duergar (4), Dwarf (female) (2), Dwarf (male) (2), Earth Archon (2), Eladrin (female) (2), Eladrin (male) (2).

Sheet #3
Huge: Balor (YOU...CANNOT...PASS!), Red Dragon (elder), ring.
Large: Bear, Demonic Savage Minotaur (sigh), Dire Wolf (2), Displacer Beast (2), Dracolich.
Small / Medium: Elf (female) (2), Elf (male) (2), Fire Archon (2), Fire Elemental (lesser) (2), Ghoul (4), Githyanki (4), Green Slime.

Sheet #4
Large: Doomspinner Spider, Drider, Efreet, Ettin, Fire Giant (male) (2).
Small / Medium: Gargoyle (2), Gnoll (3), Gnoll AI (2), Gnome (female), Gnome (male), Goblin (8), Goblin AI (4), Guard Drake (2), Hag (icky!), Halfling (female), Halfling (male), Hobgoblin (3), Human Duelist (2), Human Town Guard (2), Human Transmuter, Water Archon.

Sheet #5
Large: Fire Giant (female) (2), Flesh Golem, Frost Giant (2), Frost Giant Marauder, Gelatinous Cube, Ghost Troll Render (not a punk band).
Small / Medium: Human Bandit (4), Hyena (2), Imp, Ice Archon (2), Kobold (4), Kobold AI (4), Lich, Lizardman (poisonscale) (4), Lizardman (greenscale) (2), Medusa, Medusa Bodyguard.

Sheet #6
Huge: Blue Dragon (elder), White Dragon (elder), ring.
Large: Green Dragon (young), Hezrou, Hill Giant (female) (2), Hill Giant (male) (2), Horse, Iron Golem.
Small / Medium: Mummy (2), Mind Flayer, Orc (8), Orc AI (4), Orc Storm Shaman, Pseudodragon.

Sheet #7
Large: Ice Devil, Lizardman (blackscale) (2), Manticore, Marilith, Ochre Jelly, Otyugh, Owlbear.
Small / Medium: Rakshasa (2), Rust Monster (2), Shark, Skeleton (8), Skeleton AI (2), Snake (4), Spider Swarm, Stirge (4), swarm (3).

Sheet #8
Huge: Black Dragon (elder), Green Dragon (elder), ring.
Large: Ogre (4), Pit Fiend, Rage Drake, Stone Golem.
Small / Medium: Succubus (She's not bad, she's just drawn that way.), Tiefling (female) (2), Tiefling (male) (2), Troglodyte (4), Troglodyte AI (2), Water Elemental (lesser) (2), Wererat (2), Werewolf (2).

Sheet #9
Huge: Earth Titan, Fire Titan, ring.
Large: Red Dragon (young), Roper, Treant (2), Troll (2), Snake (Crushgrip Constrictor).
Small / Medium: Wolf (3), Wraith (4), Vampire, Vampire AI, Vampire Spawn (8).

Sheet #10
Huge: Purple Worm (!), Frost Titan, ring.
Large: Rocktempest Gargoyle, Umber Hulk, Vrock, White Dragon (young), Yuan-Ti Abomination, Zombie (hulking) (2).
Small / Medium: Dire Rat (2), Yuan-Ti (2), Yuan-Ti AI (2), Zombie (3), Zombie Shambler (8)

aramis erak

Legend
A bit of a tangent but still related. I have a lot of pawn but never use them because I can't organize them efficiently, any tips?

tackle boxes, and sticker labels. Plano makes some excellent tackle boxes. (all my battlelore figs are in 2 12x24x3" single layer ones, with translucent lids.)

Ackbladder

Explorer
tackle boxes, and sticker labels. Plano makes some excellent tackle boxes. (all my battlelore figs are in 2 12x24x3" single layer ones, with translucent lids.)

What I use are plastic zip-top freezer bag with a white label for printing on. I have a bag for each category - for instance, one for Elementals, one for Humanoids, one for Goblins (since I have so many), one for Undead < CR6 etc. If a bag starts getting full I figure out a logical way to divide it up and break out a new bag. My biggest problem is I've run out of my original box of bags and I'm having trouble finding the right ones at the grocery store :p I keep all the bags in a plastic storage tub.

And to comment on the original post, I'm a huge fan of the Paizo pawns. They are high quality and reasonably priced. More importantly, there are expansion sets for most of the AP's which come with unique NPC's, monsters specific to that AP. It's nice to know that when I start running Shattered Star, I can drop $20 and get a box with a nice group of matching pawns. I actually find this setup superior to using miniatures to stand in for monsters/NPC's (but maybe I just don't have a large and varied enough miniature collection).

If Wizards ever released an AP worth a damn, it'd be nice if they adopted Paizo's AP/pawn model. Instead, I'm hoping that Paizo sees the popularity of 5E and starts releasing some AP's with 5E rules/conversions. That'd be ideal for me - the streamlined 5E rules which I prefer, with the depth and support of a Paizo AP.

painted_klown

First Post
RE: Mini requirement to run 5E games.

I know that minis aren't required for 5E. 5E may even be the edition that makes it the easiest to remove them (matter of opinion I suppose) from game play.

Using pawns/minis in 5E are (IMO) akin to having accessories that you like, such as a dice tower, multple sets of cool looking dice, fancy mechanical pencils, maps for everyone, etc.

Heck, truth be told, with 5E you don't even *need* to buy the PHB, MM, or DMG as WOTC gives us all of the rules for free. They are just something extra, and nice to have IMO.

Some people like having accessories, hard copies of books, or (in this case) something to represent players on the table. They're simply another accessory that can be used to enhance game play...if you choose.

Personally, I think they're cool. :cool:

Remove ads