• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Does anybody else wish that WOTC would release paper pawns, similar to Paizo?

painted_klown

First Post
Hello all,

I am new to RPGs and have started playing in a bi-weekly Pathfinder game, and have been elected by my friends to DM a D&D 5E game.

In preparation for playing Pathfinder for the first time, I decided to buy their beginner box a little while ago. All I can say is WOW! It's very impressive, to say the least. :cool:

Admittedly, I really, really like the paper pawns that Paizo produces for PF, as it allows you to get the same gaming experience as playing with minis without having to sink a bunch of money into random booster boxes to HOPE that you can someday complete your collection.

I am not sure how necessary these will be for running 5E, but dang it, they certainly are cool/nice to have IMO.

I would like to see WOTC do a set of these to cover all the monsters in the Monster Manual, as well as all of the monsters that are in the adventures & modules they release.

Additionally, I would like to see a "Hero pack" or whatever, to cover the various race & class combos that your players could use. Of course they would not be able to cover everything, due to multi-classing, but they could do 1 of each race for every class available (in the physical PHB), and make male & female versions of them. Doing that, you could get "close enough" to represent nearly anything your players wanted to play.

Essentially, kind of follow the model that Paizo is doing with Pathfinder. I like it, and think it would work well for WOTC as well.

Pro's: Much lower cost than minis, no need to buy random booster packs, the ability to know you will have what you need on hand, easy to transport, readily available, etc.

Cons: Not as durable as regular minis, no real collector value

IMO, the Pros definitely outweigh the cons.

Anybody else wish WOTC would do this for D&D? Thoughts?

Last edited:

I'm not interested. With 5e, minis, paper pawns and other similar products are no longer as necessary as they used to be. Plus paper pawns are very easy to make, so I don't think WOTC should focus on them.

painted_klown

First Post
There's nothing stopping you from using Pathfinder paper stand ups in your D&D games...
For sure, I am already planning to do that.

The issue that I found was that the PF pawns aren't going to have the same races & classes of D&D, but that can be worked around with getting "close enough".

IMO, the biggest challenge with using them is that the monsters aren't the same. Sure, there are some that are in both games, but there are D&D monsters that are not used in PF. With others, there are ones that are similar, but not quite the same. I was trying to think of an alternate way to represent the monsters, but couldn't think of an easy/cheap way, to be honest.

Hence, the reason I would like to see D&D pawns. I am guessing by the responses here, that I may be alone in that thought. LOL! Oh well...

Agamon

Adventurer
Aside from the fact that Paizo can't make beholder or mind flayer flats, I'd think they should be quite compatible.

Plus, WotC wouldn't be the ones to do this, it's more something more up GF9's alley.

edhel

Explorer
Google image search or scan some of your favorite monster art, photoshop/gimp it, print it, and make your own paper minis. It won't take more than 15 minutes. I have dog didly done it. I bought cheap plastic stands for them.

Nebulous

Legend
As a long time collector of metal and plastic minis, i'm afraid this does not interest me at all. That said, like someone else mentioned, you can easily google your own images and make your own. WotC wont' go this route, but i'm sure someone else has in the past or will again. And although 5e doesn't require miniatures, for which i'm glad, i happen to love them and always use them.

Agamon

Adventurer
As for making your own, if you've ever seen the Paizo figures, they are made from a very think cardboard, pretty sturdy, and certainly not something you could replicate with a regular printer.

But I still think just using Paizo's would work sufficiently.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I made a few by printing them out on label paper, and then sticking them to cardstock. Great for unique monsters...too ink/labor intensive for mass minions. Buy pre-mades for those.

Remove ads