WotC WotC Adds 'Partnered Content' to DnDBeyond--Starting With Critical Role's Tal’dorei Campaign Setting

New 'Partnered Content' area has appeared!

taldorei-cover-art.jpg

One of the promises Wizards of the Coast made in the aftermath of the Open Gaming License 'crisis' back in January was that D&D Beyond would eventually have some kind of third party marketplace. Up until now, only official D&D books from WotC have been available there.

Now, however, there is a section of 'partnered content' -- six titles, including three Critical Role sourcebooks, as well as some older licensed items like the Rick & Morty boxed set and the Minecraft monster tie-in. The latter were already on DDB, but the 'Partnered Content' home for them is new, as is the Tal-'dorei Campaign Setting.

As of now you can pick up Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, Call of the Netherdeep, and the Tal'dorei Campaign Setting Reborn.

Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 5.06.04 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 5.08.54 PM.png

While this 'partnered content' is a long way yet from the third-party marketplace mentioned earlier this year (which is likely a a couple of years away), it is notable that third party content is now appearing on the site.

My D&D settings books based on music videos from the 1980s will be available soon.

This town? Is looking like a Ghost Town. Because Bustin Makes Me Feel Good.

Because it's a Cruel Cruel Summer.

Sledge-Hammer.

Roll With It, my frifriends
I always wanted to make a campaign out Gensis' The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. Your campaign setting sounds very interesting.

Obvious Other Third-Party Books to Include:

Keith Baker's Eberron material.
Original Adventures Reincarnated from Goodman Games.
Hamund's Harvesting Handbook from Jasmine Yang.
Neverland, Oz, and (soon) Wonderland: A Fantasy Role-Playing Setting from Andrew Kolb and Andrews McMeel Publishing.
Herbarium: A Botanical 5e Supplement from Crow & Crown.
Anything from Ghostfire Games but especially The Seeker's Guide to Twisted Taverns.

Anything from Hitpoint Press but especially The Griffon's Saddlebag.

Ondath

Hero
My D&D settings books based on music videos from the 1980s will be available soon.

This town? Is looking like a Ghost Town. Because Bustin Makes Me Feel Good.

Because it's a Cruel Cruel Summer.

Sledge-Hammer.

Roll With It, my friends.
This sounds like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure without all the bizarre parts.

WotC was the publisher of EGtW, where Tal'Dorei is published by CR's own Darrington Press. Also worth noting that in EGtW, CR retains all rights to it's IP in the book.

It's the same dang setting, same planet, same Gods, EGtW even mentions Tal'Dorei, and while Tal'Dorei us is physically published by Darrington Press the D&D Beyond version is clearly published by WotC.

So yes it's technically a partnership, so was the SCAG, it's still set in the D&D multiiverse.

jgsugden

Legend
No, I don't think they're that Machievellian. I'm sure negotiations take place constantly, but most are in good faith.
I don't think anything I suggested is in bad faith - just strategic. I'm sure they came up with the idea of their own RPG independent of the new edition concerns, but I would expect that they realized that having it available and announced now put them in a better negotiating position. I also think the hints that they may 'evolve the cast' are meant to induce incentives for them to stay. And I'm not saying this was Travis and Sam sitting in a small room smoking cigars and plotting - they do have representation that would be giving them strategic advice. Given the Amazon Series, the products, etc... the Twitch/Yahoo show is the centerpiece of their empire, but not the money maker of it anymore.

Remove ads

Remove ads