D&D 5E Humblewood: A New Third-Party Setting on D&D Beyond

Explore a magical forest and play birdfolk!

GGOjxWUWIAAOWAk.jpeg

Following November's inclusion of Dungeons of Drakkenheim and Lairs of Etharis, another third-party setting has been added to D&D Beyond. From Hit Point Press, Humblewood, a setting which features new birdfolk player races, made a million dollars on Kickstarter back in April 2019. You can buy it from DDB for $39.99

In the world of Everden, nestled between the mighty Crest mountain range and the vast marshes of the Mokk Fields, lies a mystical forest known as Humblewood that hums with the Great Rhythm of nature. Now the fires have come, and the Woods have been thrown into chaos. Even in these dark times, brave heroes can be found within the Wood. Will you answer the call?

Welcome to Humblewood, a campaign setting where you get to adventure as birds and other woodland critters. Come and discover the mystery behind all the forest fires, is it the Bandit Coalition or something even more nefarious? Explore the verdant forest within:
  • Embody the Great Rhythm of nature by selecting between 10 new playable Races and 4 new subclasses from within the D&D Beyond character builder
  • Empower your characters with 3 new backgrounds, 7 new feats, 10 new spells, and over 20 new magic items
  • Expand your DM toolkit with more than 50 new monsters in the D&D Beyond Encounters tool and 11 new maps for use with D&D Beyond Maps

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
that they need to work on one now and cannot wait another 5 or so years if they do not want to start way behind?
Start way behind whom? The thing with AR/VR is that I am not sure I see the killer app. I get the attraction of full immersion but unless one could, like in the matrix get a software upgrade to make up for one's actual deficiencies doing anything in full immersion is likely to be as hard as in real life.
For instance, in real life I do not have full binocular vision. This means I do not judge distance very well. So, I cannot play Badmington for instance. In a sword fight I would have real trouble with gauging distance and when it was safe to make an attack. It would take me longer to learn some techniques and some styles I would never be able to learn.
In D&D this is not an issue, nor in the matrix where Neo can have kung fu uploaded into his brain. Even for people that could master a thing, it would take similar level of effort to master a weapon as in reality. Are people going to put that effort into a game?

Or do they expect AR/VR to replace things traditionally done face to face in the real world? All of this assuming that the ergonomic issues (weigh, nausea and the like can be solved)

mamba

Legend
Start way behind whom?
whoever else is working on it, like Oculus. It's not just a matter of waiting for the technology to be there and then grab five pieces from a shelf, gluing them together and calling it the iGlasses or whatever. There will be research in technology, both physical and code, and patents. If you come too late, you are more or less locked out.

Whether there is a killer app or even a need for these is a separate issue, but whoever is not working on headsets is not working on those either, at least if you are one of the big guys like Meta / Goolge / Apple / Microsoft.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
whoever else is working on it, like Oculus. It's not just a matter of waiting for the technology to be there and then grab five pieces from a shelf, gluing them together and calling it the iGlasses or whatever. There will be research in technology, both physical and code, and patents. If you come too late, you are more or less locked out.

Whether there is a killer app or even a need for these is a separate issue, but whoever is not working on headsets is not working on those either, at least if you are one of the big guys like Meta / Goolge / Apple / Microsoft.
I suppose that I occasionally need to remind myself that Meta burned somewhere north of 40billion in pursuit of a version of the metaverse.

Remove ads

Remove ads