D&D 5E Kobold Press' Tome of Beasts Joins D&D Beyond

400 monsters for D&D 5E.

638459347386150459.jpeg

Tome of Beasts is the latest third party book to appear on D&D Beyond. The book, first published by Kobold Press in 2016, contains over 400 monsters for D&D 5E.

You can pick it up on DDB for $39.99.

Whether you need dungeon vermin or world-shaking villains, Tome of Beasts 1 has it. This book presents foes suitable for any campaign setting—from tiny drakes and peculiar spiders to demon lords and ancient dragons.

These monsters have been designed so that GMs can use them in their favorite settings for fantasy adventure. This monstrous tome contains:
  • More than 400 new monsters for use with the D&D Beyond Encounters tool.
  • Updated with errata, streamlined mechanics, and new monster art from the original Tome of Beasts.
  • Expansive tables that organize creatures by challenge rating, creature type, and terrain.[/callout[

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I can't think of a single negative thing to say about this.
I can. I'm skeptical about how Hasbro/Wizards seem to be trying to use D&D Beyond to devour all online D&D, and this will just make it easier.

Love the Tome of Beasts, though, and I hope this works out well for Kobold Press.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
I can't think of a single negative thing to say about this. They are bringing over 3rd party content from several of the best publishers out there and I love to see it. Honestly, the 3rd party content they have added thus far is so far superior to anything officially published by WotC over the past few years... it is frankly the justification I need to maintain my sub and keep running my 5e games online.
Here's hoping that this is just the tip of the iceberg and we see more Kobold Press, Ghostfire Gaming, etc. Would love to see some smaller 3p publishers like Nord Games up there as well with their own great bestiaries (Revenge of the Horde etc).
I agree, I hope it's just the beginning; Id love to see other 3rd party publishers adding their content to a digital platform (that lets admit) A LOT of us use.

Clint_L

Hero
Agreed. For me, it's huge. DDB is so integral to my game that I won't buy sourcebooks or adventures that aren't on it, because it would be a waste of money: I wouldn't use them. I run every encounter through the encounter builder, I track everything through "my campaigns," most of my kids in D&D Club don't even own a book or dice, etc.

But I want access to 3PP stuff, and so far I've bought all of it except Humblewood.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Agreed. For me, it's huge. DDB is so integral to my game that I won't buy sourcebooks or adventures that aren't on it, because it would be a waste of money: I wouldn't use them. I run every encounter through the encounter builder, I track everything through "my campaigns," most of my kids in D&D Club don't even own a book or dice, etc.

But I want access to 3PP stuff, and so far I've bought all of it except Humblewood.
I wish there was a mod for Foundry that would allow you to import foundry monsters, spells, and items into your homebrew creations in DDB. Currently, all the mods I've used only have bi-directional synching for characters. Then I third-party content I buy for Foundry could be put into DDB. I'm guessing the IP-issues would be to big of a hurdle for WotC to ever allow that.

Clint_L

Hero
Yeah, I'll probably wind up getting Humblewood eventually, but it's not urgent and DDB regularly has good sales. I can wait.

The content toggles on DDB are invaluable, so you can buy a sourcebook like Humblewood and just toggle it on for the appropriate campaign.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I added Humblewood because I need to the races/species for an upcoming campaign.
Humblewood seems well designed to integrate into standard D&D. It'd be a lot of fun to have a portal from there connect to Sigil or for Humblefolk to find a Spelljammer in the oceanic areas of the world that are apparently a big part of their next book.

Remove ads

Remove ads