D&D (2024) Does anyone else think that 1D&D will create a significant divide in the community?

Yora

Legend
I remember in the 90s and 2000s, there would be several new D&D books released every month.
The current output of 5th edition is positively anemic in comparison.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I remember in the 90s and 2000s, there would be several new D&D books released every month.
The current output of 5th edition is positively anemic in comparison.
I do draw a line between new supplements and lightly changed rules material in rewritten core books, personally. Maybe that's arbitrary, I don't know.

Micah Sweet

we used to have a word for that... we called them editions (the RPG version) and WotC doesn't like that word
Yeah, we did. I disagree with WotC on that front. Better to me to make 1DD a new edition, make it the way they think their largest player base wants, maybe pair it with a new setting that caters to that design philosophy. That way, you can make an informed choice whether or not to move forward with them. I don't like half-measures, and that's what this looks like to me.

All that being said, there's nothing to be done about it, so there's no point in continuing to give WotC a hard time for a decision they've already made.

Yeah, we did. I disagree with WotC on that front. Better to me to make 1DD a new edition, make it the way they think their largest player base wants, maybe pair it with a new setting that caters to that design philosophy. That way, you can make an informed choice whether or not to move forward with them. I don't like half-measures, and that's what this looks like to me.
I agree with all of this. not only do I want a better divide, but also i want more of a change

All that being said, there's nothing to be done about it, so there's no point in continuing to give WotC a hard time for a decision they've already made.
okay this i am back to disagreeing... we have 1 1/2 years to get them to change there mind... (IMO)

Micah Sweet

I agree with all of this. not only do I want a better divide, but also i want more of a change

okay this i am back to disagreeing... we have 1 1/2 years to get them to change there mind... (IMO)
Maybe. I just don't think WotC is likely to listen to complaints thst amount to, "Please toss out backwards compatibility and make a new game that better fits your current fan base". I really, really wish they would, but I just don't see it.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Maybe. I just don't think WotC is likely to listen to complaints thst amount to, "Please toss out backwards compatibility and make a new game that better fits your current fan base". I really, really wish they would, but I just don't see it.

I have the feeling that backwards compatibility has a squishy definition.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases