D&D (2024) Does anyone else think that 1D&D will create a significant divide in the community?

DataDwarf

Explorer
At my local LGS they have already stated they will not run 5e games or support the 5e material once the new core rule books come out. For me, who has what they want in 5e, that means I'll no longer be playing at that store.

DataDwarf

Explorer
Wow. Did they give ay reason why?
They said they will only support/run what they sell. They don't rent tables, all of the games there are run either by employees or by DMs that they give a small amount of store credit (~15USD/session) for running. I currently run a 5e campaign for them as a DM and that will be ending when the new books come out, and I play in another DM's campaign there, that has said they will be ending their campaign when the books come out as they are not interested in migrating to the new version either.

So, for me, this is already causing a divide in the community.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
They said they will only support/run what they sell. They don't rent tables, all of the games there are run either by employees or by DMs that they give a small amount of store credit (~15USD/session) for running. I currently run a 5e campaign for them as a DM and that will be ending when the new books come out, and I play in another DM's campaign there, that has said they will be ending their campaign when the books come out as they are not interested in migrating to the new version either.
I feel like that calls for the "that's a bold strategy, Cotton, let's see if it pays off for them." I am lucky enough to be in a city with several FLGS that are successful. They all do everything to make money and bring customers into the store. If you're not running an event like you describe here, you pay a fee for the table. They combine that with selling basic food and drink to make the space earn its keep.

I guess we'll have to see how that works out for them once the next rules set comes out.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
At my local LGS they have already stated they will not run 5e games or support the 5e material once the new core rule books come out.
That is an extremely dopey stance.

Unless WotC is doing something unusually predatory in their distribution policies -- which, to be sure, CCG and comic distributors have done at times -- them saying they won't carry the brand leader in roleplaying games is just a roundabout way of saying they're going to shut down their store in the next few years.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...

Unless WotC is doing something unusually predatory in their distribution policies -- which, to be sure, CCG and comic distributors have done at times -- them saying they won't carry the brand leader in roleplaying games is just a roundabout way of saying they're going to shut down their store in the next few years.
Are they saying no 5E at all, or just 2024 5E going forward?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
OneD&D does have inclusive-forward elements, which are quite attractive to some folks (myself included), as well as the standardization that makes it more attractive for homebrewing and 3P. It's also making some nods to lapsed players, including some subtle olive branches to Planescape fans and 4E fans.
Exactly.

The execution of the wildshape stats and rules needs work, but the concepts are solid improvements that make the class easier to pick up and play.

The stat-blocks just need more features, and a sun choice in each “of the” option, eg Guardian of The Land vs Guide of The Land vs Stalker of The Land, similar to how the summon X spells have choices within the statblock. As for features, stuff like special sense, pounce, pact tactics, knockdown, etc, need to be available. Otherwise you’re just losing. But they can be available when you choose breast type (land, sea, air) and spirit type (guardian, Guide, stalker/hunter).

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast

Unless they make most of their money off of card games.

Remove ads